Filters and stuff

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil and filter threads get people rilled up! First. Yes you can buy a motorcraft filter. But if you think that filter is what the truck came with your wrong.

Those filters are made by the lowest bidder. Lately that has been Purolater. Purolater has had many problems with the media tearing in the last 10 years or so.

Fram. Everyone picks on Fram. There is nothing wrong with the cardboard ends. Nothing! Also Fram uses better paper in their cheaper filters than most others use in their higher priced filters.

Wix is good. Never seen one fail.

Stp,mobil-1,K&n are made by champion labs. These are good filters. .... Lately they have been sourcing them from China. I hate to say it but the Chinese built ones I have cut up look to be well made. Used oil analysis shows them to work well.

In reality the oil filter is not that important. Volkswagon and the Japanese dirtbike/atv manufacturers proved that decades ago.

Once broken in there are very few contaminants in an engine. My case tractor has a bypass filter only and it's been running in a dirty/dusty environment for 65 years!

All filter companies make a dud occasionally. It happens when you make millions a day.

The air filter is much more important than the oil filter. Paper air filters are the best. Stay away from the oiled gauze air filters as those pass too much dust. That dust is more harmful than anything.

So don't dwell much on the oil filters. I wont curantly use purolater build ones due to them tearing even though a tear really won't hurt anything I still prefer no holes. Never seen a Fram tear.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The problem with worrying about Purolator is.... how big of a run were the bad filters? A week or two? a month? How long ago was it? Years? They are probably all gone by now.

Honda and Yamaha (and other brand) scooters as big as 250cc (if not bigger) typically have nothing more than a TINY oil filter strainer like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

I had a Yamaha Vino 125 that had a much more robust one, but that's very rare. The guy at a dealership parts counter kept insisting the engine didn't have such a filter. After I proved it by telling him where to look in their parts fiche, they guy said "wow, I never knew!".

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The thing about worrying about a torn element is this: Oil filters have bypass valves. So it's possible for an untorn filter to push unfiltered oil too, if the element gets clogged enough. Normally that shouldn't happen unless you don't change it in a VERY long time, but it's still something that can happen. And you wouldn't know it since the spring closes the valve without oil pressure on it.

I have yet to see folks bashing on the bypass valve feature, in and of itself.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading that thread I don’t think that’s a purolator filter? Part number doesn’t match to them at least.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right I saw that in the oil thread that pl typically means purolator but the part number doesn’t match any of their part numbers

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is about worrying about a torn element is this: Oil filters have bypass valves too. So it's possible for an untorn filter to push unfiltered oil too, if the element gets clogged enough. Normally that shouldn't happen unless you don't change it in a VERY long time, but it's still something that can happen. And you wouldn't know it since the spring closes the valve without oil pressure on it.

I have yet to see folks bashing on the bypass valve feature, in and of itself.

yep! More proof that in a healthy engine the oil filter is not that important.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online