Filtering WMO - sloooooow

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So my filtering of WMO works fine I'm going down to 1 micron, through multiple residential 10" water filters, then a goldenrod 960. My pump is a 3gpm Shurflo - works OK. I heat my oil to about 150'F before filtering. I have pressure gauges before the household filtration rigs and before the water-block. Neither is registering anything more than say 1psi. I've also ball valves behind them to test them - both work fine. So none of my filters are clogged.

My end product stream is about a 1/4" stream. Must be faster - thinking about reducing the filtration to a 10mic and a 1mic and see how that does. Even if I blow through filters faster, I cannot spend hours doing one barrel, I figure the blown poly filters are a buck a piece hardly worth crying about even if I go through a set every 55 gallons.

Thoughts?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I heat WVO to 120*F then pump through three sediment filters 20, 5, & 1 then for final polishing I use a 5/1 micron double wall filter bag with gravity. At first when the filter bag is new my flow is great but as it fills with sediment (yeah can you believe that?) the flow slows to a trickle.

My vegtherm mega is wired so it's always on while on front tank. It does temporarily turn off when it reaches a certain temp so there is no fear for overheating your WMO (or WVO).

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So do you start and stop on dino-diesel? Front tank dino?

p.s. did some testing tonight think the issue is the Shurflo I'm using, don;t think it's up to the task - thinking of upgrading to a better pump.

Last edited:

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pump is a 3gpm Shurflo - works OK.

Is this designed to be a water pump? I have on and am considering using it for this purpose, how long does it take to filter 55 gallons. I am going to thin out the WMO using gas since I'm pretty sure it will only take about 5 gallons to thin WMO to the point I won't need any heater, and mixed in it won't be anymore volatile than #2.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I started out using a shurflo and moved to using a tuthill transfer pump - faster flow.

Is this designed to be a water pump? I have on and am considering using it for this purpose, how long does it take to filter 55 gallons. I am going to thin out the WMO using gas since I'm pretty sure it will only take about 5 gallons to thin WMO to the point I won't need any heater, and mixed in it won't be anymore volatile than #2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin