New here. Different approach to wmo filters.

FarmerBoyFPV

Reaction score
Hello I've been messing around with oil for awhile now and think I've finally got a setup that's working. I have invested alot of R&D, made alot of messes and blow a few filters up in my face. I should have taken more pictures along the way but I figured it would be selfish not to share.
My idea is based off the frantz toilet paper bypass filter. The setup that currently running the best, is a 4in abs pipe with 1-1/4 through the tp and a gravity fed rv pump rated for 108 psi. Holding constant pressure on the filter. See photos.
I have no way to test but the oil out the back seem alot cleaner. It seems to take a ton of the turn everything black carbon out. I'll digress and leave it open for questions ideas and experiences.

Attachments

• 20220803_190734.jpg
    20220803_190734.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220803_190728.jpg
    20220803_190728.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 36

PossumTruck

Reaction score
I'd love to see that setup dissected a bit. I think i understand but I'm pretty visual. Those frantz filters do work.

How often are you changing the filter media? What is the processing rate?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man! Thinking outside the box, pretty low tech, I'm allllllll about it! But like @PossumTruck said, show us some pictures. And really give us the dirt, Im a WMO guy and I don't mind saying I've sat on side of the road and I probably messed up an IP. WMO is a learning curve and NOT for the feint of heart. Thanks in advance for sharing and keep it up.

Draw a picture of your filter thingy, and take a picture of it.

Edit: I googled the frantz filter, it's good. And I studied your pictures again. If I was to recommend anything it would be to draw your oil out of the top of your holding tank, stay 10-12in off the bottom.

Last edited:

FarmerBoyFPV

Reaction score
I've now found some motor guard 3 filter units with pumps more or less made for what I'm doing. They run 3 filters in parellel and the aio unit is rather nice. Im using scots 1000 but the actual elements are fairly cheap and I think I can get them at napa. I haven't really a way to test but I bought some 1/2 micron 8in x 2in socks and I've ran 300 gal or so through the sock with no sign of plugging. The home made filter works its just a 1.25 in pipe through the tp and 4in outside. I found i needed to wash some rocks and put them around the pressure end of the tp or it will push the tp up and plug the outlet. Im not sure what the rv pressure is I trimmed the spring to drop it a bit. It will pump 100% wmo no problem but it dose not prime if above the oil. The home made filter is slow! Even in a black barrel in the hot summer heat im talking like 3-7gal a day. But on a ford 12v batter it pumped 55 gal without dropping the battery much. I only changed the filter when it pushed the roll up and plugged. Its quite a job to change and the cap need a filter wrench and a 1.5 wrench or vise. I more or less pulled the filter out in chunks but as I Write this im sure some air or a pump backwords would push it out easily. Im sure the motorguard air filters would work also. If I continue with the home made some improvements may be a 1 time use glue together sealed filter, and a post filter with a glass bowl as I believe the failure will be when the tp starts to brake down and comes out the exit. I also plan on the same design as a fuel tank filter to keep dust out of the fuel tanks. I've bought a super cheap pressure driven centerfuge and I've modified a chevy oil pump. And In time I will aquire a open bowl centrifuge, im planning on comparing and making some videos in time if there's interest. I'll try to get some more photos and draw up some diagrams. But if you haven't noticed I have adhd and most of the work happens in hyper focus and photos and videos don't come to mind until im in bed and should be sleeping lol. Keep the questions coming im usually pretty good as responding.

FarmerBoyFPV

Reaction score
Here's the setup I've been using. More or less the very some but both have 3 filters in parellel and a truth hill pump 110v or 220v with ajustable bypass. I tent to run 12-20 psi. The prime decent until this cold spell but I can usually just move my dip tube up and down in the barrel until it catches and takes off. I tried without success to use the pump on the pressure centrifuge. It has the pressure but not the volume without bogging the motor and dropping out. Maybe if I used bigger piping or swaped motors, or perhaps heated the oil. Thinking of using our old water heater and testing just more ideas than time. Thanks for the interest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221023-211555_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221023-211555_Google.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 13

FarmerBoyFPV

Reaction score
Also the pump I estimate 1 gal in 5min just ball parking still slow but set and forget. I read tp will filter out carbon, I reprocessed a batch for several hours thinking it would remove the black while it didn't I do noticed the processed oil did not seem to stain my hands and clothes like it dose before and feeling the oil it has less of the carbon grit to it like i find when working on a coal rolling lots of blowby trucks. Btw im a diesel mecanic at a local shop. Theoretically the tp will catch the water until saturated, I believe this to be true as I did hit water in a free barrel of oil and it seemed to bog down my drill pump but again its just a huntch and can't confirm yet.

FarmerBoyFPV

Reaction score
Interesting setup. Would be good to use as a mobile filtration unit, I'm planning a road trip of a few months and trying to work out filtering on the road.
I've thought of a few ways also, im leaning towards a transfer tank first. Bosh and another makes a low volume sub micron spin on filter for a bypass filter. If the lift pump was strong enough I imagine the best place would be on the return before the regulator. I don't think thease low volume filters would work as a full flow filter, unless you has several in parellel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.