Filtering system for used oil to fuel???

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built a centrifuge like the simple centrifuge deal, works well enough for me. Just try to keep sytnhetic gear oil out of the mix. I've found it doesn't burn at all.

SAME.A filter and pumps will cost you way more in the long term than the upfront costs of the centrifuge.I got the bowl and motor from simple centrifuge and I built my own stand.I normally run the oil through once at full flow (about 5 gallons an hour) then I adjust the flow down to 1-2 GPH for its final cleaning.First pass is just to remove water and any large particles.Second pass polishes the fuel and removes any particle bigger than 1/2 micron.After running it for ~6 years I have never replaced a fuel filter and the centrifuge itself has paid for itself almost 3x over.

My 94 CTD seems to like ~50%,at that ratio it doesn't smoke and has no problems starting in the cold.The 89 CTD I had would run 50% it the summer but at cold idle it would smoke,in the winter it was down to 15-25%

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
lol.... I have been runnign WMO with out all that ... just make sure its "dry" and just been adding 1 gallon per 15 gallons of fuel..... so like 2 gallons per tanks in summer .... 1 gallon per fill in winter ... as stated above ... smokes a bit and stumbles a bit in the morning .... seemed to bump my mpg just a tad .. bout 1 mpg at best ...... oh and I do have a 5 micron filter between IP and lift pump... works great and when it starts to run funny ( bout 1 yr) change fuel filters and bang back to normal

philip

Reaction score
Hello guys I have an old 12 valve 94 3/4 ton I have ben burning waste oil and atf atf is better cleans system for 5 years at 80 to 85% oil/atf 15 to 20% gasoline works like a charm

I put seven gallons of 87 octane gas in 55 gal drum and then fill with oil let is set a week and pump it out through a pipe that is three in off the bottom of the drum with a gear pump through a cat
2 micron filter and straight in to the truck the gas helps solids drop out for a p pumped 12 valve you do not need to centrifuge oil have done it, it just takes more of my time that I don't have have never clogged a filter yet change it once a year. I live in south dakota where it will get to 20 below like to run straight atf in the winter it starts easier than diesel believe it or not the truck does not smoke at idle or at speed but will if you accelerate hard. This is what I have learned over the last five years. Most say that it wont work well I like to do the impossible and if you don't believe it that is more oil for those of us that know how to run it then. I hope this helps some one out there that wants to start this waste oil to fuel process.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Racor/Parker filter cart that uses 2 large filters 40/10 micron or 2 10 micron filters in series, I can even use 5 micron.
I have an upflow system also that if I have time to process I do.
Sometimes I don't have that time and I simply filter add RUG and put to use.
Every batch of fuel gets diesel additive 16 ounces to 55 gallons.
I turn on the filter cart for one hour to cleanup fuel. Pumps 10 gallons a minute
so in one hour I have a well polished fuel to use in my truck.

Lately I am out and been using station fuel, I don't like it. Hot start has a longer crank time
and noisy engine operation along with the old air in the lines rough throttle response.

Cant wait to go black again LOL!

Javier

JasonSVO

Reaction score
I use an Oil Centrifuge with a 2 tote setup. Never need to change filters on my vehicle, only out of precaution. Here is a diagram of the setup:
You must be registered for see images attach

Jason