Filter Question not IDI Specific.

TestDriver

Reaction score
I'm using a filtering setup with a 25micron hydraulic filter followed by a 15micron Golden rod then a 1micron house filter. I'm using a belt driven steering pump as the pressure source. I placed gauges on all sides and the house filter is starting to show some pressure of about 3psi on the inlet. The outlet is zero since it goes to atmosphere. I only use this to filter very thin hydraulic fluid.

My question is, how much psi can the house filter take before it will collapse? I noticed it had no internal structure. Should I make something to support the media?

Thanks.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say "house filter", are you referring to a filter used for fuel oil on a burner?

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely he means a whole house water filter.

TestDriver

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm sorry that was not worded better. I did mean a whole house type filter.

Since posing the question, I found some information online. The type of filter I'm using, a poly type, should be good for 60psi working differential. I found info for a typical filter that said crush differential for these types can be 200psi with maximum allowable diff at 100psi. It's a lot of different terms but the main thing I got out of this is, as Justin said, it should be good to at least 50psi.