Few things going on, now have audio

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock deisel rad is a 4 row. I'm going to start with the 454 unit and see how it does. It's a little smaller and if it doesn't work I'll go with an aluminum unit.

My fans and shroud should be pretty efficiant. I don't have a pic of the finished unit yet, but the blank spaces above and below the fans have cutouts with flaps over them. These flaps will open at speed to allow air to flow through with no restrictions. Time will tell how it all works out.

Interesting concept with the flap idea. It must work, Volkswagen used it for years on there liquid cooled vehicles.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Basically, they open up the shroud so air can flow through. The fans, when they aren't spinning, will block the airflow and make things heat up more. It's been used a lot over the years by many makers. Mine's all experimental at this point. Once the engine is in and hooked up I can see how it works unloaded. Then it's camping season! And, with the 8000ft and up mountains around here, it will be quite the test. All I really want is more than 5mpg and ANY power and I'll be happy!

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
The stock deisel rad is a 4 row. I'm going to start with the 454 unit and see how it does. It's a little smaller and if it doesn't work I'll go with an aluminum unit.

My fans and shroud should be pretty efficiant. I don't have a pic of the finished unit yet, but the blank spaces above and below the fans have cutouts with flaps over them. These flaps will open at speed to allow air to flow through with no restrictions. Time will tell how it all works out.

I know the stock Diesel is a 4 row but I'm running the original one in my 1979 F-250 3 row gasser now.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Shrouds

Pretty much you get some sheet aluminum and a brake. Make a cardboard pattern and go to town. The hardest part is figuring out which bends to make first and so on. There are some ready made units, but they usually don't fit quite as well, which reduces their efficency. Mine covers all the rows so hopefully it does the job.;Sweet

Last edited:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I know the stock Diesel is a 4 row but I'm running the original one in my 1979 F-250 3 row gasser now.

How big is it compared to the 4 row and how does it do unloaded? Mines a 4 row, but slightly smaller. I really don't want to try to fit the Ford unit in there, although it's been done, just a whole lot of work. Not that this whole swap isn't!cookoo

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is key, otherwise you loose efficiency driving down the road. The air rushing thru the rad will not be as effective in the blocked areas. VW had that on there cars for a while when they ran a covered fan shroud as you have...

Last edited:

Jaybee

Reaction score
My truck makes the same noise - you've got a worn out valve guide! The sloppy guide lets the valve wobble and not close fully causing the "chuff" sound in the exhaust. You can probably hear it muffled around the valve covers as well. Mine is to the point of leaking exhaust into the valve cover.

Fix it before you drop that valve, because it's catastrophic - and it's gonna happen REAL soon!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't underestimate that '79's radiator. It's got a fair amount of surface area and some pretty serious sized endtanks. At least on my '72 with a 390 I do.
I do have a customer with a '78 with a 6.9 and he is running the big block gasser radiator and hasn't had any overheating issues to this date. He's got AC too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online