few random questions with pics (long)

PnrFab

Reaction score
I'm currently replacing allot of things on my truck since i bought it (not knowing any previous history) and it sitting for very long time. right now I'm replacing all the fluids and i just flushed the radiator. replacing the heater hoses and that's my first question...

the one hose exits the heater core from the firewall and goes straight over to the top of the water pump. but the other one exits the firewall hits a "T" and goes to the block and down under towards the radiator. is this a ford only piece? why does it go into a "T" with like factory crimped looking ends
You must be registered for see images

the end that goes down and connects to the radiator is plugged (just right of the red line), why is that and if that's the case i don't need the "T" and can just go straight to the block?

around the fuel filter i have a rubber hose just laying there and goes into a steel line that from the pic only goes like 8" down towards the ground and that's it...what did this go to???

last one, what appears to be a broken vacuum hose line (red circle) if it is what does this control...thx guys sorry for the long post!

-josh

SKimballC

Reaction score
You don't need that tee, just run it to the head. Who knows what a previous owner could have been doing. That line under your fuel filter is the drain, it connects to the bottom piece of the filter. Picture #3, I have no idea. My truck doesn't have that.

snatchal

Reaction score
The heater hose with the tee is there to send coolant to warm up the tranny fluid sooner. If you live in Arizona you probably don't need that. When I replaced mine I just made it up out of regular hose and a plastic tee because the factory one was either unavailable or too expensive.
The hose with steel line is supposed to connect to the drain on the bottom of the filter. I tossed mine because it never stayed connected anyway.
I think the last one is for your MAP sensor. It sends a signal to your tranny computer. My truck has one with a line hooked to it. Not sure if this is important or not. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that will chime in soon.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The third one is either a MAP sensor (needs vacuum) or a Atmospheric pressure sensor (still called a MAP, but it doesn't sense vacuum, it senses atmospheric pressure) and since a diesel doesn't really have manifold vacuum, I would say it is as it should be, just open to sense elevation changes. Mine doesn't have one either, so I can't say for sure. A manual should say or someone here who has a vehicle equipped with one can tell you.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to install the heater hose using the "T" you don't have to go to the dealer. Get a Dremel tool with the little cut off tool and slice the aluminum collars in on both sides and they open up like a clam shell. When you put it back together just use hose clamps. My '89 E=250 has all these quick connect heater hoses that cost a small fortune if they were still available. A Dremel tool and bulk hose. Worked great.
Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS turbo

PnrFab

Reaction score
Get a Dremel tool with the little cut off tool and slice the aluminum collars in on both sides and they open up like a clam shell.

good idea i never would of thought of that :thumbsup:

and thanks to everyone else, ill have this baby driving on the street in no time ;Sweet

-josh

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picture #3 is the barometric sensor used for the E4OD transmission. There is no hose on this port on diesels as there is no vacuum in the diesel manifold to speak of.

The simmilar unit with the hose connected to it is the manifold pressure sensor used on the gas engines.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That heater hose return line is Fords idea of how to warm up the coolant at the transmission cooller faster. Most here just do away with it. As you can see the fitting in the bottom rad is orificed down for very small flow. Its not really needed. Ford wants almost $100.00 for that line with the tee in it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Picture #3 is the barometric sensor used for the E4OD transmission. There is no hose on this port on diesels as there is no vacuum in the diesel manifold to speak of.

The simmilar unit with the hose connected to it is the manifold pressure sensor used on the gas engines.

THANK YOU! I couldn't think of the name of that thing to save my butt!!! Some gassers have them as well, all the Buicks that we had (Regals, GNX etc.) had them right from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online