Few camper newbie questions.....

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
It should be fun installing a 5'er hitch in this heat/humidity.:eek:LOL

Heath

I've done three of them, on three different Ford diesels. Luckily, the super duty has a quick install bracket kit and it is easy to install. When I did the OBS installs, with the universal install kits, It was a PITA.. Especially in the heat/humidity!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be fun installing a 5'er hitch in this heat/humidity.

Really ain't that bad under the truck in the shade, just keep the wife up in the bed with a wrench holding the bolts. :D :thumbsup:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got very close to finishing the hitch install this weekend. However, I was disappointed in FedEx and how they handled (mishandled) the hitch in shipping. The Factory box was distroyed! Several holes and rips were in it and they put another box on the outside of the original at some point during the process. But, several small parts were lost out the holes before the box was "repaired.":mad: Several pins/bolts/clips were lost. One small bolt that holds the head release for hitching/unhitching was broken! Plus, the finish on the new hitch is shot! Multiple scratch/dings and the hitching instructing on the head are unreadable now.:backoff

The center of the hitch is 2.5 inches infront of the center of the axle. I'm 55 +/- from the back of the cab! I had to modifiy the frame brackets to get them to work on my '86, and that has been the big time vaccum on the install. I also replaced the grade 5 stuff that came with the hitch with grade 8 hardware. I need to finish bolting the brackets to the frame (I have 1 of 4 done) and cut some rail sized holes in the plastic bed liner and I'm ready to give it a try. Once I have the time, I will get the bed Rhino'ed or Line-X'ed and reinstall the rails over the liner.

Heath

Last edited:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Heath,

I feel your pain on the hitch install! Only one of the three I've done, had all the parts that were supposed to be there!

I wish I lived closer to you, so I would be able to help with your install. Just like installing PSD injectors, I'm getting pretty good at installing 5'er hitches!

As far as the condition your hitch arrived in goes... Fedex needs to make good on their screw up! Push them hard!

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey Heath...

Before you leave on your trip, make sure you pick up a Y pipe... You know you'll need one!

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, don't forget to get some ziplock gloves and read the directions!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my reccomendation on your first trailer would be a 25 foot TT. at most. you dont want to start out with anything too big. and the best way to make it easier to tow. which is what i did. is to get a canopy that is higher in the back. and also a weight distribution hitch. i have a 1990 f250 N/A and i have a 20' 1987 that weighs dry 4k. and have no problems with sway on the highway. and that annoying bouncing you get on the highway from a tag will go away when you get the weight distribution. and having the canopy also helps a lot. helps keep the wind resistance down.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the hitch installed (finally). I will try and cut the bed liner for the rails before camping this weekend if I have time. If not, I'll do it later. Tomorrow, I will be pulling the camper from my Father-in-laws to my house (1st pull ever). I hope to get a handle on the trailer brake controller and how the camper will act then. Friday when I get home from the office, I will pull the camper to a local campground and give it a trial run. I hope all goes well.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't forget to open the tail gate before you hitch and unhitch

Gary, that has haunted my thoughts since I bought the thing. I'm sacred to death that I will forget the tailgate and ruin it.:eek:

Heath

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my mom used to take her tail gate off when she was towing her 35ft 5ther with the ram in my sig

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take my tailgate off and leave it at home. If you have an in bed 7 pin plug like I do, it is a PITA to plug it in with a tailgate up or down too.

There's enough storage space on the trailer to carry wood blocks, a small tool box and other misc stuff if you don't have a tool box on the truck.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
What about one of them fancy 5er tailgates? I always liked the looks of them on the older trucks.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Gary, that has haunted my thoughts since I bought the thing. I'm sacred to death that I will forget the tailgate and ruin it.:eek:

Heath

That's the right way to think. I never dinged mine for the 5 years we towed it. Also don't forget to block the trailer tires. After the hitch is unlocked theres nothing to keep the camper from rolling and having it crash down on top of the bed rails makes for a bad day.

Good luck with your new home.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey Heath..

If you are worried about the tailgate and don't mind leaving it home, you can always use a 2x12 across the back.. It would keep anything from falling out. You could even paint it to match the truck.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for a 5'er tailgate when pulling this thing. The 1st pull went OK.

I have had a vibration in the drivetrain intermittantly after I added the ZF5. It is an inch longer than the C6 it replaced. I think it is the rear drive shaft. I will likely shorten it one inch and will probally replace the carrier bearing while it's out.

The US Gear underdrive makes getting up to speed much easier and with less EGT's. I love having that thing on the truck.

I'm pretty sure I need a set of injectors. I have a miss at times and I'm sure I have a bad one or two.

I need longer mirrors or at least mirror extentions. I can't see jack beside the trailer.

Overall, it's not too bad. Will be pulling it to the campground after work. I'll likely take an hour to back in the site.:rotflmao But, once I get it back home, I'll need to address the vibration and the injectors.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online