Ferret 765-01 Dynamic timing questions

lakesurfer

Reaction score
I purchased the Ferret 765-01 Diesel Timing Adapter, and an Innova 5568 timing light with RPM and advance. I read the instructions and watched some videos on the testing procedure. Also, FYI, I just installed a Facet electtic fuel pump. When observing the timing, whether at idle or at 2000 RPM, and with the timing light set to 4-cycle and 0* advance, the groove on the wheel lined up with the "O --" scribe on the passenger end of that metal tab. When I set the timing light to 8* advance, the groove on the wheel lined up away from the "O --" scribe, at about midpoint on the metal tab.

Here's my question: Assuming I set up and used the test equipment properly, do these observations mean that my IP is about 8-9 degrees off?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what your saying so let me do this....
Set your timing light to 8 deg., bring motor up to 2000 rpm and point your timing light at the timing marks, the mark on the damper should line up with the 0 on the tab.
If it does not, adjust your ip a little at a time until you get the advance you want.
Do not adjust ip with motor running.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming, 77f250diesel. That is a simpler way to say what I was saying.