Favorite Fuel Return Kit & Why?

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Favorite Fuel Return Kit & Why?

Which fuel return kit do the forum users prefer and why, please?

I know there are some fine vendors, both on this forum and outside that offer these kits. I have noticed differences in hose types, and in the case of one well known vendor, a radical *billeted* approach. There may be other differences, too. Any opinions and experiences the members could share would be welcome. Thank you.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for with return kits. They key things to look for is molding quality, what materials are used in the caps, o ring quality and hose quality. I sell qenuine Delphi kits with my viton o rings. The Delphi kits have held up the best in my testing, the caps are glass fiber reinforced instead of abs plastic, and don’t require any flash trimming because of the better mold quality from Delphi.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience if you buy a cheap kit, you get a cheap seal. Iv installed really cheap kits that made the air intrusion WORSE. Like thewespaul said, you get what you pay for.

Viton O-rings are the way to go every time, you can buy multiple sets of 16 at a time from vendors on here. Add those rings with the Delphi caps, clamps and hoses and you should be good to go.

I like to here the loud “click” sound when you push the cap over the viton O-rings. That tells me it’s sealed. If you buy a cheap EBay kit you can definitely hear a difference, the “click” isn’t as loud.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the original caps with viton o-rings and fuel rated hose from the Napa store. Original caps are high quality and seem to last for me. I did try regular Buna-N o-rings, I just run regular diesel. They lasted about 5 years and then I started having leaking problems. The second time I bought the viton o-rings from McMaster Carr and still using the original caps and the Napa hoses, replaced the o-rings. Holding up fine.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I can't remember where I bought the orings online, but the line, caps and clamps I got from Oreilly. No problems with them so far. They cost something like $75 I think though. I bagged up and saved the old caps and clamps far an emergency supply. It was orings and hose that were bad.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled crusty o rings off my 88 and 83. 88 got an eBay 35$ special with no leaks/air intrusion. 83 got a kit from r&d that leaked fuel so bad on to the exhaust manifold I thought I popped a radiator hose one night. Didn’t see any obvious o ring cuts or anything but still could’ve been me, idk. Don’t let this post convince you it’s ok to cheap out, but this is my experience. I have a kit laying here from Russ uninstalled I’ll try out one day, next kit I buy will probably be from classic diesel designs. Still on a learning curve with “products I’ll buy for life”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ @austin92 : Was this R&D's regular kit or his billeted solution?
Regular kit. My best friend has an 87 7.3 that had sealing issues with his billet rail though. Not putting down r&d, he makes good stuff, but personal experience is pushing me away from his return line kits. Neither of our trucks had/has air intrusion issues, just took a few tries to get it leak free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin makes some great products, I really dig his turbo kits and he’s a talented engine builder as well, but when the billet return rails first came out I ordered a set because I was getting asked by customers about them and I wanted to try them myself. I got an early set (first six months or so) that had R&D engraved in them. I first tried installing them on a test stand engine, and couldn’t get them to seal. I tried different combinations of o rings, lube and orientation of the retun hoses. I set them aside and ended up never using them. Years passed and I found out a few months ago that Justin had announced on Facebook that all the return rails with R&D engraved in them were machined incorrectly, and that he was taking the old rails in that had issues and exchanging them for new ones. I never knew of this since I’m not on Facebook, I searched my email and never got a notification of the recall. I still have the rails and haven’t sent them in just because it left a bad taste in my mouth, but it wouldn’t stop anyone else from doing it, from what I hear the new ones seal great. So if anyone has a set of rails that they couldn’t get to seal, call Justin up and see if you can exchange them. I’m sure he’d be happy to help you out :)

batchman

Reaction score
I tried the typ4 kit but found the hose, while beautiful, can't take proximity to a Banks turbo. Luckily I was in there for a coolant leak before there was big trouble.

YMMV,
- Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online