Fass fuel water sep. or the air dog water sep.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok awhile back I had wanted to purchase a 1987 or 86 cant remember f350 cclwb dually well I am starting a list of what should be a good start to make this truck last even longer it does have a 6.9 turbo 5 speed. I was thinking about a fass fuel system question is will the 80 gph pump work for it I mean can i use that as my lift pump? And I have heard about the head gaskets and some cavatation issues but also get rid of the mechanical pump and there was a sticky or thread about the facet duralift pump. should i just use that. seems like it would be much less complicated. any one have any input much appreciated.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
If installed properly, the Facet/Duralift pump has proven to be a steal. From what I have seen, the FASS pumps are quite pricey. I'd like to get a Facet pump from Genlightning and put a big pre filter in, like from a Mack truck or something similar. I also have an extra stock filter head, was wondering if anyone runs dual filters on their rigs...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A FASS or Air Dog is a completely useless expensive paperweight for your engine. It is designed to remove air from electronic injection systems that trigger each injector 3-5 or more times each time the piston comes around and the smallest amount of air can lock the injector up and prevent it from firing at mid to high rpms, You have a nice simple old mechanical injection diesel that only fires once each time around, this will NEVER be an issue

On a Facet Dura lift, the thing already has a 80 micron pre filter screen built into it that catches the bulk of the heavy stuff , and they do not suggest putting anthing else before it. That thing catches a lot and its handy being able to see when it needs cleaning.. It extends the life of your main filter for an insanely long time.

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed the FASS systems on the IDI's before, and on my Cummins. I am really pleased with them. You will have to change the pressure spring for an 8psi system. I remove all the factory filter heads and brackets- definately a cleaner look as well. Sure they cost, but the FASS system is better than factory components, easy install, and is an all-in-one setup. Remember, the FASS removes all air from the fuel flow, better for the IP and injectors. It has been a significant difference on the trucks I have installed them on.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I am working on installing a carter p4070. The duralifts are nice but not having fuel pressure at wot worries me. Carter has 72gph vs the duralift 35gph. Yes the duralift has a great rep but I don't like that it can't keep up flow as well as the carter. I'm looking at carter's 100 gph options also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Fasss was never designed for our idi fuel systems. Its a higher pressure system to start with. As Robert posted above. It works very well on the electronic common rail fuel systems where the injecter pressures are up above 20,000 to as high as 40,000 lbs. mAny air or water in those fuel systems no matter how small it is will blow off an injecter tip. Its called water hammer. The fuel flow gets a fluid in it thats of a differant property or a bubble of air.. This causes the fuel to slam into this. thats a solid shock that breaks things. Ever hear water hammer in the house pipes. Same thing but at a higher pressure... For the member that has installed these Fass systems on our rigs... Please post up more about this. The forum would like to learn how you made it work.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they make a complete FASS system for our trucks or do you have to buy components individually and build your own

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have an extra stock filter head, was wondering if anyone runs dual filters on their rigs...
Me gots teh two filters, lol. First is a factory 7.3 head and its 12-mircon filter, and right behind it is a factory 6.9 head w/ its 6-micron filter. And as of recently down under the cab there is a 35-micron primary filter, straight off a Mack tri-ax. Tho a neater setup would be using a van 6.9 tower and filter on the other side of the engine, keeps things compact and factory looking, w/o stuff hanging off to the sides. But replacing that secondary filter will be a pain then... But it will definitely look nicer than my cluster-mess.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. I've thought about using a FASS before. I'm aware that it's overkill for an IDI and the pressure would need to be regulated. But FASS makes a nice product and I would be willing to spend the money for a nice compact pump/filter system.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO a FASS/AirDog takes away from what the IDI is best at, being simple and reliable as a door nail. Wonder if RedStang runs a FASS/AirDog thru all them Panama jungles...

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so on the carter p4070 pump is that like the duralift pump is it a clear filter housing and no fuel at wot? still 32 gph at wide open throttle how much gph would you need??

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
so on the carter p4070 pump is that like the duralift pump is it a clear filter housing and no fuel at wot? still 32 gph at wide open throttle how much gph would you need??

No the carter is very different. It is a 72gph pump. Also the carter is a pusher pump the duralift is a puller(carter mounts as close to the tanks as possible. While the duralift mounts high up and doesn't like to be low.)No clear fuel filter housing. It drops about 2 psi at wot. So for 6 down to 4. GM guys with db2s say 100gph no fuel pressure drop. Carter does have an 8psi 100gph option. My look into that for my 93.

Last edited:

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think ima look into the duralift so i mean stock with turbo ethier one would be sutable and keep like 2cycle oil in the tank for lubrication

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that my fuel system on my truck works for me that if I lose the electric pump the flow in the lines keeps going as long as the injection pump is pulling fuel.
Not a great way to keep the injection pump alive but it does get you home.
I also know that the IDI will pull plenty of volume of fuel when loaded, the Holley blue pump that is modified to pump 14+psi pushes fuel to the engine and back into both tanks using 1/2 fuel lines.
Under a load it will pull the psi down to 1 psi if any restriction is present in the filters, I have two, one before the pump and the OEM location.

As of today I want to just do away with the 2 tanks and use one 40 gallon tank and remove the front tank, so I have room to add a much larger fuel filter in the same location as the front tank so that it is truly a gravity filled filter suppling the fuel pump.

I would not underestimate the ability of you IDI to pull fuel, this is why many Injection pumps wear out, running while out of sufficient volume of fuel.
I did it once before, looks like I am working on it again with the system I have currently.

I would not use any pump listed on this thread except for the FASS wich is a good deal for any IDI

Javier

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
i think ima look into the duralift so i mean stock with turbo ethier one would be sutable and keep like 2cycle oil in the tank for lubrication

I got your PM but you seem to have it set to not receive any ***, so I couldn't respond. Check your settings and I'll get you the info.