Farmer Rock's crew cab and 12 valve swap....

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Alrighty, so here's what I had
You must be registered for see images attach

99 1ton 4x4 7.3 6 speed c and chassis.

Here is what I have now.... A chassis,lol

This is my goal........
Yup, I know.....kind of shooting for the moon here, but I'll get er' done.

This is the engine I just picked up tonight for it, I'll have to figure out an adapter plate, but everything else should be simple.

This is the donor truck for the cab. I really hate the extended cab.
Stay tuned

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
SACRILEGE!!!! LOL

Good luck! I'm interested to hear your feelings on everything after it's all together and running.
I know right!
This was an extremely hard decision for me as stupid as that sounds. I've always been so dedicated to IH, and their motors, and now this,lol .
However, I couldn't pass up this deal of a 12 valve, and I do like Cummins engines, just not dodges at all. So I figure, it's a good motor, why not...

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Plus, I really dislike the electronics on the psd, which was honestly the main reason for considering any swap at all.
I want a super duty with absolute bare minimum electrical and luxuries.
It will more or less be a tractor with a license plate on it..

Rock

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins engines are great, love the sound, and you gotta respect the power. Anxious to watch your progress thru this project. I've considered Cummins swap numerous times but never followed through with it.

HKT Firearms

Reaction score
I have a 94 crew cab 4x4 E4OD NA IDI, & a 95 ext cab 2wd psd with a zf5. My pop has a 1997 2wd 3500 dually 12v Cummins with a manual 5 speed. I can tell you for a fact that his engine makes much more torque than both of mine put together, for a whole lot less money. Not much has been done to his engine. He has over a half a million miles same as my PSD. He gets a real 20+ miles per gallon down the highway at 70 mph.
As far as dollars spent for horsepower gained, I don't think you can beat a 12 valve or 24 valve Cummins. Very rugged and reliable engines too and a simple as they get. As far as our automatic transmissions go, they may be a step up from the pile of **** E4OD. And I am not a Dodge fan.
I think you're going to have one badass towing machine there. About time there's something interesting going on here on this site again. Keep us up to date!

HKT Firearms

Reaction score
One of my goals is to someday put a 12 valve Cummins in my '94 IDI 4x4 crew cab with an NV4500 transmission.
I love the simplicity of the IDI but it leaves a lot to be desired when trying to tow at highway speeds or through hills and mountains especially.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I got the 12 valve unloaded this morning, took way longer than it should have,lol
It was sketchy but everything worked out.

I'll be selling the dodge auto transmission cheap if anybody needs it.
I'll be using a zf6 and adapter.
I need to get the adapter before I can really do anything as far as motor mounts.
It seems like my options are either, use an electric fan, and not have to move everything back a few inches, or mechanical fan and just deal with relocating everything.
I'm kind of leaning towards moving everything just for the sake of keeping the mechanical fan. I really don't want any more electrical than necessary. More to go wrong, but I'll see when I get there

Rock

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was your engine out of? Weren't Dodge Cummins "black", with the word "Dodge" on the intake? I'm certainly not a Cummins or Dodge guru, just the way I recall seeing those engines in a Dodge ram. The color of your engine almost reminds me of military equipment??? Either way you have the foundation for a mechanical powerhouse! Anxious to follow you thru this project. It's a little "nippy" for garage work today unless you have a good heat source (woodstove).

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
What was your engine out of? Weren't Dodge Cummins "black", with the word "Dodge" on the intake? I'm certainly not a Cummins or Dodge guru, just the way I recall seeing those engines in a Dodge ram. The color of your engine almost reminds me of military equipment??? Either way you have the foundation for a mechanical powerhouse! Anxious to follow you thru this project. It's a little "nippy" for garage work today unless you have a good heat source (woodstove).
It was out of a 89 d250, however the guy I bought it off of, resealed the entire engine and repainted it. He intended on putting it in his 68 dodge crew cab. I'm not a dodge guy, but that's was a cool truck I admit.
It is just bitter out today with this wind. Last I checked it was -17 with wind chill. Good grief.
I'm probably going to do some parts ordering today, and see about an adapter plate. Next step is firing up the Cummins, just to give me some motivation in this weather,lol
Merry Christmas

Rock

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'll be selling the dodge auto transmission cheap if anybody needs it.
The 727 3spd.... IMHO, the best use of it is a yard-tug, tire burner, or drag truck.

Do check if any trans shops will buy it. It's a cummins-only case. I reckon so many have been scrapped by now (5/6spd and OD conversions) there may be a deficit of buildable cores.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
The 727 3spd.... IMHO, the best use of it is a yard-tug, tire burner, or drag truck.

Do check if any trans shops will buy it. It's a cummins-only case. I reckon so many have been scrapped by now (5/6spd and OD conversions) there may be a deficit of buildable cores.
That's a good idea, I'll definitely ask a few trans shops. the bad part is it's only 2wd, so I'm hoping it's still of some value. I mean I would be happy with a couple hundred or so.

Rock

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The 4wd end should be the same, gas vs diesel. The diesel 2wd end is still nice as it has a short bolt-on yoke vs the long slip found on most gas 2wd 727s.