Fan clutch upgrade...

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank! Very much appreciated. Yeah its just the banks one. I can't find the p/n at the moment but they were still sold new. Like $49 or something like that. The p/n is definitely listed on oil burners somewhere. I have it going to a racor cv4500 then back into the air intake. The drain on the cv4500 goes into a fitting on my fuel pump block off plate.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update? I'm just curious how this project is coming along.

No updates yet, I haven’t forgot about it just been busy with life and work and motivation to work on the truck, hoping to have some update in the next week or so.

I did go to the auto wreckers and get a pigtail for the clutch and an AC pressure transducer.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan is in and good timing too as the oem clutch I had on there has been puking it’s oil out for a while now.

Stock water pump threads.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bushing to adapte to the 6.4 clutch

6.4L clutch with idi fan threaded on

3/4” clearance to radiator, more then enough for engine movement

Just another pic.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one of the metal bars that goes across the radiator to hold the wiring and left a bit of slack for engine movement.

Clip end to hold the electrical plug

Wire hold down ties, little over kill

Finished radiator support bar

Wire ties bent over to hold the wiring

And the electrical plug coming out the side of the fan shroud, for some reason I don’t have a pic of the actual fan shroud so I’ll get one tonight and post it so you guys have an idea where it comes out.

I haven’t finished hooking it up to my temporary manual on/off switch to try it out yet, hoping to have that hooked up in the next few days.

The fan took a good 5 minutes or so to unlock after first start up which I’m guessing that’s because it’s been in every position for the last 2 months and not actually run, after a quick run around the block it was down to the lowest fan speed like it should be.

I’ll update more when I have the temporary wiring done and have full manual control of the fan.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My 6.0 fan acts the same. Stays locked upon startup when it's hot out. (Of course ac on max at the time also)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is awesome looking.

Couple questions.

1. Which route did you go to bolt the fan on?

2. Does the 6.4 clutch require a pilot nub on the front of the bushing for location or does it just tighten down against the WP flange? It looks like it’s the latter.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.0 fan acts the same. Stays locked upon startup when it's hot out. (Of course ac on max at the time also)

I believe the nature of viscous fan clutches is to be engaged for the first minute or so, this one just took a bit to turn off and being used I wasn’t sure if it was a bad clutch or not but after the quick drive everything seems right with it.

This is awesome looking.

Couple questions.

1. Which route did you go to bolt the fan on?

2. Does the 6.4 clutch require a pilot nub on the front of the bushing for location or does it just tighten down against the WP flange? It looks like it’s the latter.

1: my calibrated hand torque wrench wasn’t working well when I put the original M6 bolts in to mount the idi fan and ended up stripping 2 of the holes out so I just drilled them out for a 5/16” thread and used the idi bolts.

2: The 6.4L clutch doesn’t use a pilot and just tightens against the water pump flange, the bushing has a pilot to the pump but I don’t know if you would really need it or not. I torqued the whole assembly to 100ft-lbs and it felt solid, no feeling of threads stretching or the bushing trying to come apart.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe the nature of viscous fan clutches is to be engaged for the first minute or so, this one just took a bit to turn off and being used I wasn’t sure if it was a bad clutch or not but after the quick drive everything seems right with it.

Oddly it doesn't seem to do it as much in the mornings.
Would these be called a electric viscous clutch? Or?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it’s looking like I have a bad clutch... it has unlocked only 2 out of the 6 runs I’ve done with it, doesn’t seem to care if I give it power or not it just stays locked. I may have a line on another used one to try out and see if it performs any different.

One interesting note is the fan clutch itself is running very cool when it’s locked up, after getting it up to temp and running a good size hill you can hold your hand on the clutch it’s that cool, now I just wished the thing worked.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a machinist i want to have make a few, and if it works out ill let y'all know.

any update on how it works?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any update on how it works?

I haven’t driven the truck a ton since putting the fan on but every time I switched it on it would lock up and ran cool, unlocking is a different story and I think I have a bad clutch. I have most of the fan controller programing done and it seems to act right on the bench, haven’t hooked it up to the truck as I’m currently pulling the engine to swap cranks out for a vibration issue I have discussed in a different thread.

Some update about the bushing, pulled the fan off last night and the bushing stayed on the water pump, I didn’t do anything special when I put it on and is spun off the water pump without issue so I don’t think anything has to be done machining wise for a removal tool.

As for the fan controller, it’s turned into a bit more then just a controller, at this moment it will read out ECT, EOT, TOT, IAT, MAT, Fan speed, AC High Pressure, AC high pressure cut off control, High idle and cold timing advance control with separate manual high idle control and manual fan control (mite add in the engine temp light too). Everything is displayed on a 20 character by 4 row lcd screen and will tell you if a senser is out of range (shorted to ground or B+). I don’t have much to show picture wise as it’s on a demo board for testing but I will try and grab a shot of the screen tonight or tomorrow.

I know a few will ask why I’m adding the high idle, cold timing advance and possibly the engine over temp light, well both of those sensors have pretty much crapped out and stay stuck on, I’m already reading engine temp accurately so it’s just a matter of turning on and off a few relays.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to update right now, I am still working on this project, currently dealing with redoing my engine and I’m fighting trying to get my display to work over a serial bus so it only uses 4 wires total instead of 10+.

So at the moment the controller/ gauge read out can display :
Engine coolant temperature -59 to +271F
Engine oil temperature -59 to +271F
Intake air temperature -59 to +271F
Manifold air temperature-59 to +271F
Transmission temperature -71 to +294F (piggy backing off of the tot sensor)
(Note: the temperature ranges are what Ford uses)
Exhaust back pressure (haven’t tested yet) but I believe is -30in hg to +60 psi
Air conditioning high side pressure 0-500psi
Fan speed (not done yet, need a working engine first to test)
Manifold absolute pressure (boost) 0-15 psi
Glowplug diagnostics (using a 7.3/6.0/6.4 gpcm)

Outputs:
High idle with manual override
Cold timing advance
AC clutch high side cut out
Fan speed control with manual override
Over temperature light
Glowplug control with manual override and on/off
Glowplug light

I’m using all oem sensors (except boost) for this project, total cost atm is $0 for sensors and gpcm, all can be found at the wreckers for cheap or free which is why I’m using them.

So atm my engine is back together, got to put it into the truck and hope it runs or it’s going to find out what a pound of thermite will do to it.... then wire up the controller and do some real world testing.

Last edited: