Factory Turbo Removal

lakesurfer

Reaction score
I have a 1993 F350 5-speed crew cab with factory turbo. I am trying to understand how to remove the turbo so can plan replacement of the glow plugs, injectors, return line system, and injection pump. I wrenched on it some, removing the air cleaner, the intake bolt, and some other things, but when I couldnt' see anything else to unbolt, it still felt like it was secured.

I have searched this forum, Google, and YouTube, plus referred to my illustrated factory parts manual, but have not been able to find an exploded diagram, procedure, or video describing removal of the turbo. Would anyone be willing to offer advice on this or point me to a good resource?

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so there are four bolts that bolt the turbo to the up pipe. I don't know if they are covered by the factory aluminum shielding though. Then there are two bolts that mount the oil drain, that's where the CDR used to be. Unbolt those too. Then you've got the V Band clamp to the downpipe in the rear of the engine. Then there's the oil drain setup. Have fun cursing everything on this planet until you get it done, it's a PITA!!!

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Thank you, Rossroams. That helps. I hope someone has an illustration they can post. I was disappointed that my illustrated factory parts manual did not have this.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey no problem, If I had a picture I would post it. Sadly my truck is still on jack stands as I install this lift kit!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless that ATS turbo sits in a bad spot compared to other turbos, there is no reason to remove it for what you want to do.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Vegas39, Understood. I will look at it again. I don't want to disturb it if I don't have to.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I had the same turbo, it is snug but once you figure it out it is not a big deal to work around the turbo. First get a set of long needle nose pliers. They make handling the connections and pulling and inserting glow plugs much easier.

To get the back 2 glow plugs loose snake a long extension with a swivel on the end under the turbo from the drivers side. Once they are backed out, pull them out with the pliers. I can do it in about 5 to 10 min now. I would not break the turbo out unless you needed to for other reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Copy that on removing glow plugs with the turbo in. However, my intent is to do IP, injectors, and return lines at the same time. Additionally, I am strongly considering the R&D billeted return system to get away from those troublesome caps and hoses. Not sure I can do all that with the turbo in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online