Factory turbo issues?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
What exactly qualifies a turbo as bad? I think I had some bearings go out on me or something because my turbo wheel doesn't spin freely. It is actually hard to turn by hand. I don't feel any grinding, but just hard to turn. I do hear the turbo sound in the exhaust, but I'm not sure if that means it's working or what. What do you guys think? I don't notice any play, everything seems tight. I don't think the blades hit the housing either. I will look a little closer tomorrow.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If it is hard to turn by hand, the bearings are probably burned up due to oil starvation.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I have my mechanical oil pressure gauge plumbed in at the top of the turbo and I always have at least 23-50 psi there. How could it be starved?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the temperature there? if its cold when you are turning the wheel it could just be cold oil that is making it harder to turn, i had a turbo i put motor honey in it to keep if from rusting out and because it was on the shelf, and in winter i could barely turn the wheel, summer time it turned no problem, cold make a difference with oil, that's why you shouldn't do an oil change with the engine cold

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
what is the temperature there? if its cold when you are turning the wheel it could just be cold oil that is making it harder to turn, i had a turbo i put motor honey in it to keep if from rusting out and because it was on the shelf, and in winter i could barely turn the wheel, summer time it turned no problem, cold make a difference with oil, that's why you shouldn't do an oil change with the engine cold

:frustrate good point

However, I just installed a boost gauge and I'm not getting any readings on it. I checked my connections and it seemed good...I plumbed it in where that square plug is in the snail thingy.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any exhaust leaks? could be a pinched line to your boost gauge or a broken line, or maybe even the gauge itself, any power differences from now to before?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When the engine is running and you can look in the turbo inlet pull the fss wire off the injection pump to kill the engine. Watch the turbo fan hopefully slow down and stop. then see if it spins hard of easy. If it stops spinning quickly you probably have bearings that are carboned up from shutting down the engine when the pyro is over 300 degrees. Oil cokes up when the temp is +300 degrees in the turbo. then you ruined the bearings and usually the shaft.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbo should spin freely always. I send my turbos to arizona tractor and turbo and they have a quick turn around time and good prices.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Contact Russ aka typ4. He rebuilds the ATS turbos and does a fine job of it. He just bought all the ATS spare parts too so he has what you need. That cheaper center section may work but are you willing to risk it being probable chianese crap. I sure would not. Russ is located in Oregon too so its not far from you being in Washington state. Might just be a nice road trip too. He does great modifications to the turbos too.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I've been in contact with Russ before and he has been a huge help. I have actually already sent him a pm. However, he has been insanely busy as of late. I actually was going to have him time my engine before I got ahold of your meter, Gary. He's pretty close to me (2.5 hours) and even closer to my parents place (20-30 mins). I just like to look and compare prices. I did find out the other center section is Chinese crap, but the first link is new factory bolt-on stuff. I would love to have Russ do my turbo, but honestly, price is a factor for me.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to turbo's use a well known brand. OEM stuff is usually nicely built and serviceable. Ebay aftermarket stuff is too often junk as its low priced for a reason. I did an engine build for a guy and he brought me a bunch of ebay parts including a turbo. I told him if I built this, there would be no warranty of any kind, and that I think he should send it all back. He didn't, and even signed a receipt acknowledging no warranty. As expected, it ran like crap, and he spent about 3x what he needed going to different shop (I would not work on it any more) and it still never ran right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually cheap parts are just that. Rarely do we find something that cheap that works very well. Whats bothersome for me is having to buy new good parts after already buying cheaper stuff. I'm like everyone else. I look for the cost effective way to go and hope I'm doing the right thing.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Seems like once the truck warmed up I was able to produce some numbers. Maybe around 3lbs at 2500rpms going 40ish. I think this means I either have a leak or issues with my hose to the gauge.