Factory 7.3 idi turbo to 6.9 questions

reward_1000

Reaction score
My old turbo engineering setup gave way on my 6.9 idi so after some horrible customer service and lack of warranty from CX racing on a turbo that lasted 10 days I have purchased a factory 7.3 set up. I got everything minus the air box, the down pipe and any CDR stuff. So I ordered the Banks down pipe and I can make an air intake system. So this leaves the CDR system. My valve covers do not have any holes in either of them to mount anything. Do I need to get a new valve cover for the driver side? The old system just used a hose hooked to the air filter and the valley pan, so that is out. I have no problem purchasing the parts I just need a better clue as what to do here.

Thanks in advance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Along with whats posted you also have to block off the hole in the intake. I think your turbo stand might do that but just be sure to check it out.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
My old turbo engineering setup gave way on my 6.9 idi so after some horrible customer service and lack of warranty from CX racing on a turbo that lasted 10 days I have purchased a factory 7.3 set up. I got everything minus the air box, the down pipe and any CDR stuff. So I ordered the Banks down pipe and I can make an air intake system. So this leaves the CDR system. My valve covers do not have any holes in either of them to mount anything. Do I need to get a new valve cover for the driver side? The old system just used a hose hooked to the air filter and the valley pan, so that is out. I have no problem purchasing the parts I just need a better clue as what to do here.

Thanks in advance.

sorry to hear about your luck... was that a ebay turbo? what are you going to do with the rest of the kit?

reward_1000

Reaction score
The turbo standoff does use the hole for oil drain back, so I will make sure the drain holes are big enough. I am going to make a block off plate for the driver side exhaust manifold where the turbo used to mount. Until I get another exhaust manifold that is. The turbo I got I purchased straight from the shop. After talking with them I found that if you purchase it through Amazon it has a 30 day warranty. It was a jacked up process and taught me to never do business with CXRACING and to make sure to double check the warranty before purchasing anything online. You live and learn. I have found a valve cover that is that style so I will pick it up to use. Thanks for the help.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo standoff does use the hole for oil drain back, so I will make sure the drain holes are big enough. I am going to make a block off plate for the driver side exhaust manifold where the turbo used to mount. Until I get another exhaust manifold that is. The turbo I got I purchased straight from the shop. After talking with them I found that if you purchase it through Amazon it has a 30 day warranty. It was a jacked up process and taught me to never do business with CXRACING and to make sure to double check the warranty before purchasing anything online. You live and learn. I have found a valve cover that is that style so I will pick it up to use. Thanks for the help.

Ill trade ya for a regular manifold. Pm me if your interested, I gotta couple extras

reward_1000

Reaction score
You have mail Frank.
The old turbo system mounted on a different exhaust manifold that replaced the driver exhaust manifold. That is why I would have made a block off plate, but it will not be needed now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've seen one of those kind of turbos before. It was a Hypermax. It looked awful. Really cheap. It sure looks like they've come a long way from those days. Their new stuff looks like good quality.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cx turbos have crap bushings, with new garrett bushings they do well. just sayin, I was going to trade a manifold and valve cover for your odd one but sounds like its all covered. I do have orings for the pedestal and cdr tubes and lots of air filter housings if you need parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online