Factory 1994 7.3 Turbo engine...video.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here is the new mill to replace my lazy 6.9....I got it on a trade deal with a buddy of mine....I will owe him some parts and or labour in the future on one of his 3 trucks. This one has 364,000KM, 4wd ZF trans....Seems to run good enough but it will need some attention before it goes in the truck in the spring/summer. There are some obvious exhaust leaks, GP issues and etc. I plan to pull the heads for some new gaskets, maybe a re-ring job, new injectors and some bearings....I may also rebuild the turbo once I get a better look at it. Everything hinges on money as usual...:rolleyes:.....Hopefully it will smart'n up my old dually when it's loaded. What a hell hole of a spot it was sitting in. Back in the woods at a small junk yard, 2 narrow bridges to cross....Snowing, icey and no friggin room to move. Good thing the duallys a 4x4 or we would still be sitting there.:eek:....I had to drop the trailer and move a Hino 3-ton just to drag the F250 out....I had to "come at it " hard too....really hard:eek:....Just loving those 20,000lb d-rings we welded on my pintle plate.;Sweet I thought I broke the chain on the last hit but I was dragging the Hino with 4 stuck wheels....LOL...The video will be up later today.

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both you and goofy are true "men" in every sense of the word. snow? cold? I make a deal and wait until spring to haul it home.cookoocookoocookoo

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
That's my old man in the pic un-chaining the rusted heap. Today was warm for January, 0C*....T-shirt weather depending on what you are doing.:D....When you want something bad enough there isn't enough cold, snow or ice that will stop you up here short of a blizzard....:sly

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
both you and goofy are true "men" in every sense of the word. snow? cold? I make a deal and wait until spring to haul it home.cookoocookoocookoo

HEH, towcat... I just finished digging some parts out of the snow in the back yard. Anytime you want to enjoy the winter expirence...snow, splitting firewood by hand, plowing, shovelling......pullign stuck prius hybrids out of snowbanks....just give me a call...:rotflmao

Here is the new mill to replace my lazy 6.9....I got it on a trade deal with a buddy of mine....I will owe him some parts and or labour in the future on one of his 3 trucks. This one has 364,000KM, 4wd ZF trans....Seems to run good enough but it will need some attention before it goes in the truck in the spring/summer. There are some obvious exhaust leaks, GP issues and etc. I plan to pull the heads for some new gaskets, maybe a re-ring job, new injectors and some bearings....I may also rebuild the turbo once I get a better look at it. Everything hinges on money as usual...:rolleyes:.....Hopefully it will smart'n up my old dually when it's loaded. What a hell hole of a spot it was sitting in. Back in the woods at a small junk yard, 2 narrow bridges to cross....Snowing, icey and no friggin room to move. Good thing the duallys a 4x4 or we would still be sitting there.:eek:....I had to drop the trailer and move a Hino 3-ton just to drag the F250 out....I had to "come at it " hard too....really hard:eek:....Just loving those 20,000lb d-rings we welded on my pintle plate.;Sweet I thought I broke the chain on the last hit but I was dragging the Hino with 4 stuck wheels....LOL...The video will be up later today.

THAT is what I need sitting in between my fenders. Hopefully that deal pulls through on the Non WG banks sidewinder setup so I can have at it with my low mileage spare engine. I think I might do the same thing with that, as you are planning on doing with yours. Except I might add head studs to the equation for a little more mental relief.

At least we have running trucks and the engines we want to work on are spares...lucky in that sense.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I got an email from the guy in NB, his wife is in the hospital waiting for a stubborn baby to come into this world...Poor *******....LOL....The deal might be on for next weekend, he needs the money for obvious reasons. I will have the video uploaded shortly as it's loading on youtube now.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got an email from the guy in NB, his wife is in the hospital waiting for a stubborn baby to come into this world...Poor *******....LOL....The deal might be on for next weekend, he needs the money for obvious reasons. I will have the video uploaded shortly as it's loading on youtube now.

Sell me that damn surge tank with the washer fluid tank....mine's split!!!!:rotflmao

on second look, is that the front bumper with the holes AND trim on it? Sell me that too! Holy jumpin'! I could pick small parts off that thing all day!!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Once Danny makes his mind up on what he's doing with it we might be able to plunder it for little ****.:sly

You say the body is ripe....what's the frame like? I might buy it if the price is right if he wants to sell it and put my D60, IDI,ZF, dually rearend, fender flares and single cab off that dually on it ;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
For your viewing pleasure, I have a better video uploading now with more comic relief.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrxtEw6uynA

I have to be gentle removing this engine as he wants the running gear back. The frame and etc seem to be solid enough. He has a light duty 1990 F250 4x4 that he wants to swap on to this frame or we will junk this one and put the axles under his current truck...Once I get it in the garage this week he wants me to examine it and give him my opinion on which way to go. His other truck has been undercoated since new so I`m leaning towards the axle swap. I get the trans, engine, t-case, cluster and rad.;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
That's my old man in the pic un-chaining the rusted heap. Today was warm for January, 0C*....T-shirt weather depending on what you are doing.:D....When you want something bad enough there isn't enough cold, snow or ice that will stop you up here short of a blizzard....:sly

not even a blizzard--been there also,,,yah got to do,,what yah got to do--:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao not much fun,tho!!!!!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's the plan for this engine before it goes in:
Head gaskets
exhaust manifold gaskets, new bolts and etc
Oil cooler gaskets and o-rings
new water pump and t-stat
new alternator (seized)
possible turbo rebuild after a closer look
bearing inspection and replacement if needed
cylinder check, possible re-ring and hone job
new oil pan on the 6.9 moved over to this engine
maybe some new injectors if money allows
Pyro and boost gauge install

Question: Are there any parts still available for the factory turbo setups? The exhaust leaks on this thing have me wondering if there aren't some rusted/cracked pipes from the manifolds to the turbo. What is a rebuild kit worth for the turbo cartridge (bearings/seals)? I want a reliable 10psi of boost on stock head bolts with no intercooler. I have a gasser rad support with the early 80's style short-wide radiator and I don't have any ambition to change the core support to fit the other style rad.