f250 to f350 swap

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:f250 to f350 swap

Hey im still looking for advice on the 1976 swap. I want to take the 1993's 7.3 banks turboed and 5 speed and put it in my 76 along with the us gear splitter from the 87. Would the axles from the 1993 bolt in under the 76 or are the completely different? Also whats it going to take to make the speedo work correctly? would i need to take the transfer out of the 1993 also? Am i going to have to do that anyways since i cant seem to find and adapter to go from my zf to np205 etc.

Since i have the divorced case in the truck now is there really any way to re use that, or am i just going to have to use the tranny and transfer from the 1993?

Are the factory ford oil gauges known not to work? It says the engine has very very low oil pressure, but wouldnt it be louder than!!! and not run and drive excellent?

Last edited:

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
The frame width is narrower on the 76, so the perches on the axle would have to be moved. I don't know rotations per miles on either speedometer, so I can't help you there. The transfer case has to follow the trans, unless you get a 2wd trans. and put a short shaft in for the 205. I would try to use the transfer case so there are less moving parts and ujoints to go bad. Don't trust those factory gauges a bit. My factory says zero but a autometer gauge says 45psi.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey im still looking for advice on the 1976 swap. I want to take the 1993's 7.3 banks turboed and 5 speed and put it in my 76 along with the us gear splitter from the 87. Would the axles from the 1993 bolt in under the 76 or are the completely different? The front axle is way different, the rear axle might bolt in. Also whats it going to take to make the speedo work correctly? See below would i need to take the transfer out of the 1993 also? Am i going to have to do that anyways since i cant seem to find and adapter to go from my zf to np205 etc.

Since i have the divorced case in the truck now is there really any way to re use that, or am i just going to have to use the tranny and transfer from the 1993? Use a 2wd transmission and keep your divorced transfer case (and the speedometer drive off the transfer case).

Are the factory ford oil gauges known not to work? It says the engine has very very low oil pressure, but wouldnt it be louder than!!! and not run and drive excellent? The sending unit is an on/off switch set at 5 - 7 psi. There is a resistor on the back of the gauge to simulate a mid-range reading. Once pressure is above the 5 - 7 psi it does not affect the gauge reading in any way.[/quote]

asdfgkl;

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I would keep the NP205 as well, damn near bullet proof they are. I'm putting one under my 91 F250 along with converting it from 2wd to 4wd with a D60 solid axle. You should be able to make good coin off the 93 4wd trans and t-case to pay for the new 2wd trans. As Roboto said, keep the 205 and the speedo is not an issue. The rear axle should be easy with some new spring perches, the front axle would be a little more work - mostly to do with the steering.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes that sounds right buy heres the thing, i want to use the zf5 speed and the us gear splitter because i have 4.10 gears. Also guys i have a complete excellent running 1ton 4x4 banks turbo truck that i have all the good stuff to take off or should i go another route?

I can get the 79 dana 60 front from a friend as the one on my 79 is being used for that swap. But i really want the overdrive 5 speed and the splitter.

I guess i could put a zf 5 speed in there and then put a gear vendors on the back of the 205.

Some one chime in and tell me again the cheap way to take my 4wd zf to use the 2wd style output yoke.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front axle will require a good bit of work, you will have to outboard the springs, the center section on the later axle is 6" further to the drivers side, you can't move the perch like you'd need to have it line up with your existing springs. The steering would be the easy part, swap in a 78/9 power steering box, then it'd be pretty close to just hooking up...
If you are dealing with a married 205, it'll bolt right onto the back of a ZF, bolt pattern and spline count are the same as the 1356 out of the 93.
Personally, if it'd fit in the frame, I'd go with the 1356, with a good chain, they're plenty strong, the low range is considerably lower(2.69 vs 1.98) and, the big one, shift on the fly.

As for an easy way to convert your 4wd ZF to a fixed yoke output, offhand, I can only think of the F450 parking brake setup.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gear splitter would have to be before the transfer case. Using the divorced transfer case you would need a 2wd splitter and probably move the TC back.

If you want to make the transmission 2wd get an extension housing and have an extension shaft machined to make the output shaft longer. Those F-Superduty driveshaft brakes are mucho expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance