F150 5.0 hot rodding?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as tuning goes if one wanted to do heads cam and intake package on a 5 liter f150 is it much different then a mustang with the 5 liter?
What about the intake and throttle body location difference as far as running a performance manifold?
Are the internals the same as the mustang 5 liter throughout the years?

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year it the 5.0? the mustangs had the H.O motor but not really sure what the difference is. if you want the power adding to be easy you can toss all the smog pumps and EFI stuff in the garbage. not that its bad but it can be a pain to tune for more power. I did a mustang build, the car was an 1985 convertible 5 speed limited slip with 4.10s, trick flow heads, a good size cam not sure the specs, weiand stealth intake, holly 650 double pumper, bbk headers, full 2.5" exhaust with billet race mufflers. its not the fastest car on the road but its fun to drive and smokes the tires.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
As far as tuning goes if one wanted to do heads cam and intake package on a 5 liter f150 is it much different then a mustang with the 5 liter?
What about the intake and throttle body location difference as far as running a performance manifold?
Are the internals the same as the mustang 5 liter throughout the years?

Pretty much the same, do a little research on setting it up, get a set of gt-40p heads and the intake from a junkyard explorer/mountaineer and rework them. Once you learn to identify them you can pop the hood, look, and see if it's the right heads, but in a truck I'd just dump the 302 and put a 351 in its place, you can find a good used engine for less than you'll have into the heads. If you insist on keeping the 5.0, you can reliably push them to 450+hp, but the engine will be far from stock, and will cost a lot more than an equivalent 5.8.

I did a mustang build, the car was an 1985 convertible 5 speed limited slip with 4.10s, trick flow heads, a good size cam not sure the specs, weiand stealth intake, holly 650 double pumper, bbk headers, full 2.5" exhaust with billet race mufflers. its not the fastest car on the road but its fun to drive and smokes the tires.

over-carbed

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
over-carbed

you think so? before I bought the 650 I had a 700 that I threw on it just for ***** and it ran good. I could tell it was rich by the smell of the exhaust. I figured the 650 would be good, I mean it runs ******. what size have you used or recommend for a carb?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
On my Mustang, I run a 500cfm 4160 (vacuum secondaries) for regular driving, a 600cfm 4160 on the local 1/8 mile strip, and a 600cfm 4150 (double pumper) on 1/4 mile strips.
I've dropped a 700 cfm onto that engine to see if it was any better, I was .2 seconds slower, you lose on the bottom end acceleration due to lost intake air velocity, read up on it and it'll make sense.

Quick rundown as it sits now:
302 58k miles
reworked GT-40P heads with Crane Beehive Springs a multi-angle valve grind and pocket ported, COMP magnum rockers
Professional Products CrossWinds Intake
COMP Cams Magnum CL35-310-8
Trick Flow retro-fit Hydraulic Lifters and Lash Adjusters TFS-21400006
B&M 50448 2000rpm stall converter
Transgo shift kit (c-4 trans)
Flowtech Headers 12100FLT, down to custom 2.5" dual exhaust with an H-pipe and Raptor mufflers

It's nice and quiet.......... at idle....... :rotflmao
This past spring I was originally going to just get a 4bbl and headers on it, welcome to the upgrade train LOL

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I can't view Complete signatures, but might be good for yall to know what year truck he has. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't view Complete signatures, but might be good for yall to know what year truck he has. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I don't have a gaser just my idi f 250 I was just asking due to how cheap they have become.
I watched a you tube clip of a 90's f150 with a ford e303 cam I believe and it sounded really good. That's what sparked the question.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my Mustang, I run a 500cfm 4160 (vacuum secondaries) for regular driving, a 600cfm 4160 on the local 1/8 mile strip, and a 600cfm 4150 (double pumper) on 1/4 mile strips.
I've dropped a 700 cfm onto that engine to see if it was any better, I was .2 seconds slower, you lose on the bottom end acceleration due to lost intake air velocity, read up on it and it'll make sense.

Quick rundown as it sits now:
302 58k miles
reworked GT-40P heads with Crane Beehive Springs a multi-angle valve grind and pocket ported, COMP magnum rockers
Professional Products CrossWinds Intake
COMP Cams Magnum CL35-310-8
Trick Flow retro-fit Hydraulic Lifters and Lash Adjusters TFS-21400006
B&M 50448 2000rpm stall converter
Transgo shift kit (c-4 trans)
Flowtech Headers 12100FLT, down to custom 2.5" dual exhaust with an H-pipe and Raptor mufflers

It's nice and quiet.......... at idle....... :rotflmao
This past spring I was originally going to just get a 4bbl and headers on it, welcome to the upgrade train LOL

somebody got bitten by the bug.what year mustang?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
somebody got bitten by the bug.what year mustang?

'73
It was my dad's car and was immaculate, until 3 years ago now someone threw chunks of cement over a 6' chain link fence onto the car, tore up the cover, tore the vinyl roof, dented it in some places, broke thw windshield and the paint and the rust began.......
He decided to go to a Miata cookoo, so I took the car, it was going to be a factory restoration, but you cannot get the proper replacement ginger vinyl roof, you can get buckskin color, but when the car has a ginger interior, it doesn't look right.
Now I'm just keeping the rust in check while I decide whether to replace the vinyl with something wrong or eliminate it (which means the car can't go back to it ever), and it's become a real toy.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
factory resto's are ok but just having fun with a toy is much funner.id just strip it down,go without the vinyl and get it some fresh paint.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a gaser just my idi f 250 I was just asking due to how cheap they have become.
I watched a you tube clip of a 90's f150 with a ford e303 cam I believe and it sounded really good. That's what sparked the question.

find yourself a flareside and build a custom sport truck.slam it,tub it.302/c4-c6/4:56 and have some tire smoking fun.:D

ah.here we go.
You must be registered for see images attach

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/32265...r_stroke+ford_burnout_front_three_quarter.jpg

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you want to hotrod a truck, get yourself a pre war!!!!
800 bucks for this badboy!
You must be registered for see images attach

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how to do the work that's needed on something that old. It's cool as hell though.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
neither did I when I built my 30 oldsmobile....
life is a learning curve my friend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Members online