F-Superduty experts!!!

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided that in the future I'd like to work for myself. I currently have a regular bed on the truck (PO bought it with a utility bed but used it on his other truck. Hence the swap).

Anywho, I just wanted to know what dimensions I need to look for and anything to look out for with the axle placement, etc.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't quite understand what you are looking to do.
are you looking to switch out a pickup bed for a utility bed or the opposite?

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
he wants to put a utility bed back on it and take the dually bed off if i understand him right. you should be able to put any fullsize 8ft utility box on it that you can find.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Gees, did I put a bug in your ear or what man? I think it is a utility bed he's wanting considering he's going to be a Marine Technician. There's a few here on CL down this way man...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he wants to put a utility bed back on it and take the dually bed off if i understand him right. you should be able to put any fullsize 8ft utility box on it that you can find.
if that's the case, a commercial bed with a 60" CA measurement will work.
the bad part of putting on a commercial box is now you will need to have DOT tags as well as ICC if you cross state lines.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if that's the case, a commercial bed with a 60" CA measurement will work.
the bad part of putting on a commercial box is now you will need to have DOT tags as well as ICC if you cross state lines.

X2, unless you drop the regestered weight. but why do that?

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gees, did I put a bug in your ear or what man? I think it is a utility bed he's wanting considering he's going to be a Marine Technician. There's a few here on CL down this way man...

Bingo. :D I've been all over CL here and can't find anything. I guess I'll restart my search when I move.

So I'm looking at 60" CA then.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo. :D I've been all over CL here and can't find anything. I guess I'll restart my search when I move.

So I'm looking at 60" CA then.
yup.
pickup is 54" CA with a 37" frame center.
commercial chassis (all F450) is 60" CA, 34" frame center and 86" box width.
you will either luck upon one or not. I put my utility box f/s on CL and got one smartass lowballer to come by and make an offer that was below scrap weight. It was a rust-free STAHL fully enclosed walk-in box. I squished the box with a loader in front of the ****** and loaded it into the scrap bin.
In short, I generally have very little luck in timing a utility box removal/sale before they become a nuisance around the shop and when that happens, they get squished for scrap weight. I might have "sucker" tattooed on my forehead, but I do own a loader that I love to take my aggressions out with:D:eek::D

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup.
pickup is 54" CA with a 37" frame center.
commercial chassis (all F450) is 60" CA, 34" frame center and 86" box width.
you will either luck upon one or not. I put my utility box f/s on CL and got one smartass lowballer to come by and make an offer that was below scrap weight. It was a rust-free STAHL fully enclosed walk-in box. I squished the box with a loader in front of the ****** and loaded it into the scrap bin.
In short, I generally have very little luck in timing a utility box removal/sale before they become a nuisance around the shop and when that happens, they get squished for scrap weight. I might have "sucker" tattooed on my forehead, but I do own a loader that I love to take my aggressions out with:D:eek::D

Cool, thanks for the measurements.

As for crushing - if I had a loader, I'd do the same! ;Sweet

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could just put tool boxs and stuff on the bed and not messin with buyin a new bed

I would, but if I'm going to be a fully mobile shop, I'm going to have a compressor, welding stuffs, water tank, gas tank, etc. It would be a job jumping in and out all day long.