Exxon Valdez syndrome.......Leaking engine oil

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I have an engine oil leak and I dont know and cant see exactally where it is coming from. The oil leaks down on the tranny connection and the starter mostly. What is the most common place for these engines to start leaking (weakest link)? It isnt a lot of oil but it is enough to make a damn mess! Dont know if i should even worry about it, but i thought i would ask for any suggestions, advise, or comments since it bugs me a little. Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take a look at your oil pressure switch. top of motor, all the way in the back, where the SAE adapter plate bolts to the block. Down in the valley.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
towcat said:
take a look at your oil pressure switch. top of motor, all the way in the back, where the SAE adapter plate bolts to the block. Down in the valley.

Towcat, The oil pressure sending unit on my truck mounts to the top of the turbo, and it is not leaking there but somewhere a little lower it seems. Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Towcat, The oil pressure sending unit on my truck mounts to the top of the turbo, and it is not leaking there but somewhere a little lower it seems. Thanks!
my fault for not reading your sig line :eek: get up on top of the engine and take a flashlight to the valley behind the intake. make sure your oil return tube from the turbo isn't leaking and dumping oil onto the valley.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Yea, what TC said......there is a "bung" type rubber fitting in the metal valley cover.
On natural asperated IDI's, it is what feeds the CDR.

I'll bet you'rs is cracked and dried out :D

This is one reason not to hold the pressure washer nozzle too long under the intake, makes the oil turn funny colors and un-nessecary oil cooler r+r :eek:

Just my couple pennies :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
This is one reason not to hold the pressure washer nozzle too long under the intake, makes the oil turn funny colors and un-nessecary oil cooler r+r :eek:
so that's your reason for why you got so "good" at oil cooler R&R :D :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Could be the valve cover gasket has given up as I have had 2 engines both start leaking at the back of the covers.
Possibility of HG failure if the CDR grommet is intact. On the Beef donor motor I purchased, you can somewhat see the amount of oil that had run down onto the block and that was after the first degreasing(first pic)
Second pic is the valve cover leak, which would dump the oil right onto the starter.
Just a couple of places to start.

Attachments

• DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 18

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I was gonna say valve covers too. Mine seem to need to be retightened every once in a while or else they start leaking all down the side and on the starter and exhaust area.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Could be the valve cover gasket has given up as I have had 2 engines both start leaking at the back of the covers.
Possibility of HG failure if the CDR grommet is intact. On the Beef donor motor I purchased, you can somewhat see the amount of oil that had run down onto the block and that was after the first degreasing(first pic)
Second pic is the valve cover leak, which would dump the oil right onto the starter.
Just a couple of places to start.

I think it might be the valve cover as well, it is leaking in the same area you described..........I'll have to use everyone's suggestions and investigate further. If it is the valve cover gasket will just tightening it solve the problem? Thanks for the responses!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
I think it might be the valve cover as well, it is leaking in the same area you described..........I'll have to use everyone's suggestions and investigate further. If it is the valve cover gasket will just tightening it solve the problem? Thanks for the responses!

It will get ya by for awhile, if not time for some new gaskets. Not too expensive, just a little PITA changing em out. Snug em up first.....cheapest route. ;Sweet

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
It will get ya by for awhile, if not time for some new gaskets. Not too expensive, just a little PITA changing em out. Snug em up first.....cheapest route. ;Sweet

Just dont overtighten.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online