Expert Forensics needed - rebuild 7.3 idi "ticking" direction needed

Stpaulies

Reaction score
this is old thread but if your watching i think i know the answer...

I came across this post on accedent looking to soleve my Growling noises... However i have put up with a Tick Tick Tick noise forever on mine.

Kinda sounds like a metal ball on a roulete table. tick tick tick.

Welll here goes, im troubleshooting this horrible growling noise coming under my truck. I pulled the inspection plate to the flywheel and guess what i found, yep... the culprate to the tick noise.

Its the pinon gear on the starter somehow has just enough play in it to rattle close enough to the flywheel to "tick" against it while running. Look there i bet you find the same thing. Pull the plate start your truck and get under with a flashlight.

If yours is like mine it comes and goes so you might try it a few times or atleast reach in there and see if there is play in the pinon gear on the starter.

now if i can only find where my Growling sound is comming from xP

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
There are MANY 7.3's out there with a tick tick tick. My 1990 has done it forever. I believe it is either a lifter or bad valve guide. I have seen trucks get worse and worse till they drop a valve due to a bad guide. These trucks always tick consistantly.

Where as mine and others aren't consistant with their tick, which leads me to beleive that its a lazy lifter. For example when you have fresh clean oil, the tick may be worse or better than dirty oil.. So in a case like that; the oil is having some effect on it no doubt, so that kinda points to a hydraulic (lifter) issue.

Mine is worse when the motor gets hot (thin oil) and when I first start it the tick isn't even there. But gets progressively worse as it warms.

But if you are convinced that its the bottom end/flexplate...; than it could very well be that I guess. I just felt that I should share my experience.

Stpaulies

Reaction score
1993 F350 DRW crew cab
original engine was a 7.3 idi n/a
rebuild is a 7.3 idi n/a.....

....It sounds like it's originating from the bottom end, like a wrist pin or rod???

I then pulled the dust cover thinking this could possibly be the flexplate and or the torque converter bolts, I validated the converter bolts, tightened all four then visually inspected the flexplate and nothing of notice....

HOWEVER, using the stethescope, the sound seems to be the loudest when placed on the housing of the transmission?????
:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno

this is exactly where i herd the Tick sound on mine, i only got lucky finding it looking for Growling noise, (which i just now found out is my trq conv failed) but i can physically watch my starter pinion rattling against the flywheel. the tick tick tick is from each tooth hitting intermitantly.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He mentioned in one of his post's that the flexplate hjas a wobble in it, could very well be what your saying about the starter gearhitting the plate.

haha, no offense man. I just really want to hear the sound so I can help. And besides, it is kind of mean to sell a truck you think is gonna blow up.

That's exactly what I thought when he said he's going tom sell that POS. Ya dump your trouble on some other poor suspecting soul. I'm sure he wouldn't tell aboput it, that would bring the price down. I would be awfully mad if someone did that to me, fact is I was beyond mad at a NC dealer that did that to me. I'd still like to cut his nuts off after 3 years. But I guess, pay your money and take your chances.:mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online