exhaust

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 1992 f250 with the 7.3 in it and i was wondering what would be the best way to go with the exaust on it i want it louder than stock but not super loud basically i want the best flowing i was thinkin maybe dual 3" what do u guys think

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 5 inch single exhaust and its not to loud but sounds bad@ss and if you have a turbo get ready for a jet

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok ill probally go with 4in and i was just kinda wondering there isnt a problem with not havein any backpressure is there???

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlike gassers, diesels don't rely on backpressure. It is better to get the exhaust out as quickly as possible.

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info just another question y is it that these motors dont need backpressure

Last edited:

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
diesel motors don't need backpressure (not really fer sure on the reasoning, something to do with the compression maybe? i dunno...) but as everyone mentioned 4" best.... I have a 3" DP to 4" then 5" stacks, and it's purty loud but nothing too rediculous...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the easier air can get into and out of the engine the better. i would assume the reason for not needing backpressure is that more air can get out of the engine faster meaning that more air can get into the engine more efficiently

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i dont know i know that a diesel is way different than a gasser but i figured with out a turbo a diesel would still need backpressure

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No. There is no vacuum in the engine so they do not require the reverberation that comes from the scavenging effect that is part of a gasoline engine. There are not any throttle plates. Think of it this way. The faster the gas gets out the better. Now with a gasser, the gas kind of uses the backpressure to adjust how much fuel goes in on the intake side of things. If you used a vacuum guage on the the intake side, you would see how there is no vacuum on the diesel.

SWS

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I want a straight threw muffler I have heard the N/A is alot louder then with a turbo and it is hard enough to try and hear someone on the phone with the diesel and stock exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online