exhaust video

gatorman21218

Reaction score
heres a crappy cell phone video of my truck. tell me what you think of the exhaust. Does it sound normal? Keep in mind its a 2.5 inch straight pipe. Also in the beginning I have a shot of the valves on the drivers side. You cant see nothin in the video but it appears that a bit of smoke is coming out of the #8 exhaust valve. Like i said dont mind the video just listen...
http://youtu.be/rw4bO8aEifQ

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Is your truck loud as hell in the cab when driving?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good. Either an injector is stuck/sticking open, or you got a bad valve.

Try cracking open injector lines while running, see if you get one that makes that thump thump thump sound go away from the exhaust.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Just fixed this type of problem with my truck, you have an exhaust valve that is not seating as it should. it could be the one that you noted as having smoke pass by. You can do one of two things. #1 purchase rebuilt heads or take the one's you have and carry them to a respectful machine shop and have them gone through and rebuilt. If you go with the second option. You will possible spend $250 per head, I lucked up and spent $260.00 total. Make sure new seals are also used.

I maybe wrong, but I believe that your timing may also needs to be checked..

Hope this helps

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, what I notice about the exhaust there is that there seems to be a puff of smoke out of it, to the tune of one particular cylinder. It doesn't sound bad under the hood but back by the pipe, that would make me nervous.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
in all seriousness I cracked the injectors and they all did the same thing - slow the motor and make it run rough.

How do I check the valves?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An exhaust valve is not completely seating so that makes the psss sound out the tail pipe. Notice its followed by some blue puffs of smoke. Look for a broken spring or time to remove both heads. Sorry for the bad news but thats what I see and hear from the west coast..

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
To add to that, you best get that done/fixed before that valve drops in the cylinder and destroys the engine....