Exhaust out of hood?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, the first problem is, it has a muffler. the exhaust leak, well I guess some duct tape came loose er something. :D

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Looked like it might be a RDT. You can see a tube running outside the frame rail in the wheel well.

I certainly wouldn't do it. I like to be able to see where I'm driving and the old lady complains about the noise enough as it is :rotflmao Not to mention having to remove the stack whenever you need to open the hood. Wouldn't be fun if something went wrong under the hood or in a runaway situation. Oh, and everything around there getting rained on and water pooling in the header(s).

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If it's off road only and you want a quick and dirty exhaust then sure, come right off the turbo through the hood. However, you don't have a turbo so you'd be making a ridiculous maze of pipe to get up through the hood. If you want quick and dirty just go straight back and dump wherever is convenient. Do a stack through the bed if deep water is a concern.

Back when I was young and dumb playing in deep water and changing gear oil every Sunday evening I never had a problem, just don't stall. OK, one time I had a problem when water was above the steering wheel and I got stuck, turned it off real quick because I knew hydrolock was any second. Pulled it out, changed the oil (or replaced water with oil as it was a while to strap up and recover). No problems, that engine was in three trucks, hydrolocked a few times, overheated with no coolant until it seized once, and just wouldn't die. Eventually seld it to a guy who put it in a boat, fitting. He didn't seem interested in rebuilding it prior as I recommended. Either way, I wised up and got a boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55Xg1_mLoY

If you intend to drive this on the street, a hood stack is not legal in any state so far as I know. Exhaust must exit after the passenger compartment for street driven vehicles.

Runningaford

Reaction score
.......On the coolness scale, I think it'd be damn cool to have a stack out of the hood..... I saw a youtube video of a guy that painted a Mercedes d300 tan, and then rerouted the exhaust out the hood; actually looked tough! The guy made the hood stack separate and attached to the hood; it came down over the actual exhaust; making a clean break, but all in all very functional.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esandifer08

Members online