everyones problem

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the winter my truck (93 7.3 NA auto 4x4) became a little slow starting. It started better if I would touch the throttle just a bit, though.

Now the truck has progressed to the point that it will not start if I don't press the pedal down while it is whirling and even then I have to crank it several times before it will start.

I think my ip is retarded, but would that cause this problem or should I be searching for another cause?

BTW: lots of diesely white smoke when it starts. . . . runs great once it is warmed up.

Seems like everyone is haveing starting problems right now, wow.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this on a cold or hot start, or both? How many miles are on your IP?

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cold start only, if I let it set long in a parking lot it is slow to atart, but not as bad.

IDK on the IP. 163k on the truck, but the ip is newer. I remember a while back someone was having a lot of air trouble. any thoughts on where to look for that problem. . . if there is fuel leaking out I assume there would be air leaking in

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cold start only, if I let it set long in a parking lot it is slow to atart, but not as bad.

IDK on the IP. 163k on the truck, but the ip is newer. I remember a while back someone was having a lot of air trouble. any thoughts on where to look for that problem. . . if there is fuel leaking out I assume there would be air leaking in
When you say "slow to start" are you talking about cranking speed?
If not I would check for fuel leaking around Injector O-rings and trust this I'm not talking fuel pouring out but, if any of them are even (damp) they must be changed. One damp o-ring will let air into the system and cause your problem > especially when the truck sits fo any significant ammount of time. Also check where the hard fuel line enters the filter head and the rear of the IP. Just a few weeks ago my hard line going into the filter head was "damp" and gave me a hard start problem during cold temps if my truck sat for a day or so.
There's also a hard line that runs along the drivers side of the intake and behind the engine...these had lines have rubber (olive) washers in them that can shrink or crack in colder weather.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most cold start problems are glow plug related. Try plugging the block heater in once and see if it starts better with it. If so, then the glow plugs are where you should focus. A lot of air problems usually follow the pattern of the engine firing, then dying right away.