Ever pull the sending unit/fuel P/U assy??

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 IDI NA CC. The gauge reads 1/4 when the truck stops running. I pulled the rear tank and it has about 10 gal left. The sending unit/p-u assy. has just a blunt end that dangles in the tank, a couple inches off the bottom. I asked a diesel guy at FOrd what I am supposed to see and he said there us supposed to be a plastic p/u "foot" thing with, I think, a screen of some sort. Anyway, there is NOTHING in the tank except 1/2" piece of plastic broken tube thing that would have fit over the pick-up pipe. Has anybody had this problem and how did you solve it?? My suspicion is that Ford does not sell the pick-up foot/screen thing separately. Thank you. --Andy

MT.EZ

Reaction score
I believe that others here have just added a piece of fuel rated hose to the pickup tube. The hose just needs to be long enough to get to the bottom of the tank and then cut an inverted v in the end of the hose so it can not suck to the bottom of the tank.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 IDI NA CC. The gauge reads 1/4 when the truck stops running. I pulled the rear tank and it has about 10 gal left. The sending unit/p-u assy. has just a blunt end that dangles in the tank, a couple inches off the bottom. I asked a diesel guy at FOrd what I am supposed to see and he said there us supposed to be a plastic p/u "foot" thing with, I think, a screen of some sort. Anyway, there is NOTHING in the tank except 1/2" piece of plastic broken tube thing that would have fit over the pick-up pipe. Has anybody had this problem and how did you solve it?? My suspicion is that Ford does not sell the pick-up foot/screen thing separately. Thank you. --Andy

the rear tank of my truck does the same thing - empty at 1/4 tank. Please let me know if you fix yours so i can do the same. was it hard to pull the tank without removing the bed? i am hoping i don't have to take the bed off.
thanks,
Paul

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I had to do that once, luckey me, I had already installed a dump bed :) Right now I need motivation and a clean driveway to pull the bed off my dually and do work on both tanks cookoo while adding a turbo :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a common problem and biodiesel, wvo and ULSD probably don't help much. In truth this junk was too cheap even for the 5000ppm diesel offered when they were new. Yeah just get a piece of fuel injection rated 3/8" or something else that is resistant to all types of diesel, cut said inverted V and be done with it. Be sure its long enough to get you to the bottom but no longer. If its longer it will interfere with the locking ring's ability to seal, if shorter you'll have the same problem you do now. If the gauge doesn't correspond to the fuel level that's another problem that's been hashed and rehashed here ad nauseum.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the gauge doesn't correspond to the fuel level that's another problem that's been hashed and rehashed here ad nauseum.

could you point me to a thread where this was covered? i am new here and have not seen anything about it yet.
thanks,
paul

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To Grease Fire: Here is now it went on my 93 IDI CC NA: Pulling the rear tank was a piece of cake. Get the spare tire and hanger off, loosen clamp @fuel filler inlet (just inboard of the rear wheel). Make sure hose is free on nipple. You won't be able to pull it all the way off yet - it will pull out with the tank. There are 4 nuts/bolts that hold the tank on. 15mm on the bottom, 13mm on the top. Get two jack stands at the back of the tank about 4" -6" under it and wiggle the tank so the back lands on the jack stands. The pinch-weld flanges hang up on the frame so it takes a little finessing. Now with the back sloped down, reach up with a small screwdriver and pop the two little plastic keepers for the fuel lines. The lines will now pop right off. Pry the sending unit electrical connecter upward toward the sky. Now the tank is free except for the filler hose. Just work it around the flanges and frame and filler hose and you're there! For some reason there is a skid plate thing on the bottom of my tank that didn't come off. It may have some anti-rattle adhesive or something making it stick, but it is pretty tight. I'm just leaving it since there's no real reason to pull it. Good luck and I'll keep you posted on progress... --Andy

slicknic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine. Im doing the fuel line mod and decided to throw in some new tanks while im in there. I also discovered that the 2 metal tubes of the sending units are all rusted out :mad: so Im getting a friend to make and install some new ones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle