ESOF NO WORKEY

SUPERFORD

Reaction score
I needed a little extra traction today and shifted to 4x4 mode heard the start of the normal click noise in the cab but no actuator light came on. itried to get it into 4x4 low range and nothing there also. i put in neutral foot no brake and off,in park with foot on brake and off with no luck at all. i got unstuck and got home tonight and checked fuses but nothing blowed.. now what do i check???

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar incident but not on a Super Duty. Mine occured on my 03 Expedition and I ended up taking it to the dealer. Solenoid in the front differential went on vacation.

SUPERFORD

Reaction score
I have had isues with the hubs but it still shifted the transfer case in and out

PARKESPOWER

Reaction score
EVEN IF YOUR HUBS ARENT WORKING YOUR TRANSFER CASE SHOULD SHIFT IN , OR AT LEAST MINE DID WHEN HUBS WERE GIVING FITS

jvencius

Reaction score
SUPERFORD said:
I needed a little extra traction today and shifted to 4x4 mode heard the start of the normal click noise in the cab but no actuator light came on. itried to get it into 4x4 low range and nothing there also. i put in neutral foot no brake and off,in park with foot on brake and off with no luck at all. i got unstuck and got home tonight and checked fuses but nothing blowed.. now what do i check???

Have you checked the vacuum line connections to see if they're leaky? If so, the ESOF wouldn't work right. IIRC, Bob Riley sells a replacement ESOF hose kit that's supposed to clear up the problem of leaky ESOF lines, but since I've got the do-it-yourself T-case and hubs, I've never really looked at that item too hard.

pacman99

Reaction score
I'm haveing simular troubles but don't hear a click when I shift to 4x4. How does the T/C engage, elctrically or by vacumn?

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
We're mixing up two systems here. On the superdutys, the hubs use a vacuum pulse by way of a fender mounted controller to lock to the axle. The transfer case is shifted by way of an electric step motor by way of a relay control. If the transfer case isn't shifting, there is an elecrical fault or the motor died.

Stroker, 97-03 half ton trucks have a center axle disconnect that commonly fails.

Adrianspeeder

pacman99

Reaction score
Where

adrianspeeder said:
We're mixing up two systems here. On the superdutys, the hubs use a vacuum pulse by way of a fender mounted controller to lock to the axle. The transfer case is shifted by way of an electric step motor by way of a relay control. If the transfer case isn't shifting, there is an elecrical fault or the motor died.

Stroker, 97-03 half ton trucks have a center axle disconnect that commonly fails.

Adrianspeeder
Where is the relay? Can you get to the motor without dropping the T/C? What does the shift motor cost and is it a Dealer only item? I don't think my axels aren't locking but that's I would think is a simple fix??

Thanks,

Don

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't have a manual for these trucks yet so I haven't been able to poke around wiring diagrams.

Motor is chillin right on the back of the transfer case in the open. You could try tapping it with a hammer and maybe get lucky. Napa has the motors for the older BW1356. Not sure about these NV units.

Adrianspeeder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726