EOP/EOT sending units

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
where is the best place to mount engine oil pressure and temp sending units on a PSD?

i have heard the best place for the pressure is the port on the oil filter mount and there is a brass plug on the block about 6 inches behind the oil filter on a "ear" near the bellhousing for the oil temp, but would like to get some feedback on accuracy and how hard the installation was, i'm not sure that is the best place for oil temp

thanks fellas

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
just incase anybody else is interested in installing these gauges, i'll follow up

i got my gauges installed yesterday and all of them work

i installed the oil pressure sending unit where the brass plug was in the filter mount and the oil temp in the "ear" on the back of the engine block right where it bolts to the transmission (square plug head) both drained a large amount of oil out when when i removed them (mostly missing the pan but hitting the shop floor LOL)

the oil pressure works great 25psi @ hot idle, 50psi hot running (not too shabby for 111K on the ticker)

the oil temp is what is wierd, it taks a lot longer than what i expected it would to even reach 180* (much slower then the water temp which reaches 190ish rather quickly) and thats as hot as if have gotten it (longest i have driven it is about 15 miles)... being i know the hole i put the sender in is a LP oil port (between the last main journal and the turbo) it almost makes me wonder if the gauge or sender is bad... shouldn't it be hotter than this?

my other thing was maybe the sending unit isn't getting enough flow across it, i might swap them around and get the oil temp from the filter housing and oil pressure from the ear

my girlfriend got in my truck and noted "i feal like i'm in a submarine" because of all my gauges (7 aftermarket)

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
final report on sending unit locations...i put the oil pressure in the filter housing and temp in the 3/8" block plug about 2 inches behind the filter housing (lower larger plug right near oil pan).. much more accurate temperature measurements here then on the "ear" at the back of the block, it has oil pressure but not much flow, so it runs much cooler than actual oil temperature... the plug where i installed mine runs about 200* if i'm just tooling around town but if my foot gets itchy or driving of 60 mph or more it will go up from there pretty fast

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.