Engine swap questions

suv7734

Reaction score
You certainly need to look for the spacer before you put any flywheel on.

Are you 100% sure the old (1993) engine is a "factory" IDI turbo? The turbo may have been installed later on another engine. The serial number on the block (driver's side in front of the IP gear cover) will be "7.3TU2Uxxxxxx" if it's a factory turbo engine.

IF it is a factory turbo engine you should not use that flywheel on an NA engine (the 1990) because it is balanced differently as described in the page I posted earlier.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory turbo ford trucks have a difference balance to them than the n/a trucks. As posted earlier on the factory turbo trucks they played with the balance and they have a different balancer and flywheel than the non turbo trucks. I did this exact swap last year.

To be correct on balance buy a flywheel for a 5-speed non turbo truck to put on the non-turbo engine you are installing. If you have a factory dual mass flywheel still I would just buy a whole new single mass flywheel conversion clutch kit for like 325 bucks. I like the LUK kits myself.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That special crank spacer is ONLY found on the auto trans setups that have the thin stamped flexplate. The auto s with the heavy cast iron 3 piece flexplate has no spacer because its so much heavier and thicker. When you get the na engine just look at the flexplate. Then let us know what it is. Now will any flywheel bolt up to any idi engine be it auto or manual.. Yes. Will you have a vibration or balance issue.. Maybe.. Maybe not. To be safe I suggest finding an na flywheel to fit your clutch and not use your turbo flywheel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys and it is a factory turbo engine I'll see if I can find a non turbo flywheel at a junkyard I don't want to spend a bunch of money into this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep all the Factory Turbo Engine parts....There are a lot of people that will buy the parts from you for repairs or trans swaps...I have some parts myself...just no flywheel parts...Get the part numbers off them and post the stuff in the market place... you will have no problem selling the stuff....What "blew up" on your Turbo Engine?...

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Factory turbo ford trucks have a difference balance to them than the n/a trucks. As posted earlier on the factory turbo trucks they played with the balance and they have a different balancer and flywheel than the non turbo trucks. I did this exact swap last year.

To be correct on balance buy a flywheel for a 5-speed non turbo truck to put on the non-turbo engine you are installing. If you have a factory dual mass flywheel still I would just buy a whole new single mass flywheel conversion clutch kit for like 325 bucks. I like the LUK kits myself.

This is correct, I went through this mess two years ago. I got a turbo flywheel because I had a turbo on my motor(not factory) and ended up with a horrible vibration. Switching to the N/A flywheel stopped the vibration.

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and rebuild it first. I'm tearing it apart this week to see what is stopping it from turning before I go get another engine so I'll let ya guys know. Thanks for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726