engine swap into a WHAT!!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Has anyone out there ever put a 300 I6 gasser in a jeep.Thought about getting a 1974 postal jeep(DJ5) with blowed up AMC engine(they are asking $500 with VG body).Found a 84 300 with 3Spd tranny out of a truck for $200.I know the 300 is 8" longer than the 242AMC.Has anyone ever attempted to do this?Looking for a cheap replacement for the Falcon(F250) and don't want a cookie cutter car.I want something more....Me!Something I can tinker with on the weekends that gets decent fuel mileage(said decent not great!),Don't mind getting the interior dirty(Work in a machine shop cutting cast iron....Lots of dust,grease,oil,unknown slime!),and won't feel bad if I cut a hole or two for special additions(Muh Ha ha ha ha).

Lastly,Anyone know what was hooked to the back of a 300 in 84 with 3 gears?Mechanical,Hydrolic,internal,external actuated clutch fork(which one?)?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
The three speed auto tranny is the C6. I didn't think they had three on the tree manuals in 84.

Adrianspeeder

I need to call them then.You can't kill that setup!I tried!boiled ever bit of water out of the 300 after it threw a fan belt and it still ran great after I refilled and rebelted i.Sold to cousin that never checked the fluids,ran it I think 2 or 3 quarts low of trans fluid(pan leak).Refill and trans shifted perfect.Not to mention he was hell on that tranny and engine.Drove it like a honda.Power braking(well attemted to),kicking it sideways to spin the tires,blaa blaa blaa.That truck was indestructable other than the 8.8 took a dirt bath(PO got up in it before I bought and did something.Spider pin lock bolt was broke off and JB welded,Spiders were razor sharp,pinion would move in and out a 1/4" if you turned the drive shaft by hand not to mention CLUNK real loud going from reverse to drive or visaversa).

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i have a 81 F150 that still used the 3spd man. but i think it was phased out... definately sometime before 86.. not sure if it was before 84

if i was interested in swaping a 6 for another 6 in a jeep i would say find a 4.0 out of a newer jeep and toss it in.. they are cheap, easy to find, and very good mills

it would be almost a bolt in replacement for the 242 also... if you wanted to spend the dough you can even get a "stand alone" fuel injection kit for them and run fuel injection which would be very reliable and get excellent fuel economy

Reaction score
You can put them in a Jeep.

You can also get a 4 barrel intake manifold with a small 390 cfm holley carberator and get 300 hp out of them. All available from jegs.

Anywho I think advanced adapters has an adapter that will probably work on the original tranny.

Good luck,

Paul

BJS

Reaction score
jlayne said:
it would be almost a bolt in replacement for the 242 also... if you wanted to spend the dough you can even get a "stand alone" fuel injection kit for them and run fuel injection which would be very reliable and get excellent fuel economy

don't know what you consider excellent fuel economy. brother w/ 4.0 in his jeep is only pulling down mid to upper teens.

The tranny if auto is more than likely not a C6 since the small block C6 trannies were generally put behind the larger power motors (351) It's quite possibly a C5 which is still a pretty good tranny just not quite as strong as the C6.

in '84 they also offered a 3 speed manual tranny I believe that it was a floor shifted tranny but I'm positive.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BJS said:
in '84 they also offered a 3 speed manual tranny I believe that it was a floor shifted tranny but I'm positive.
I've never seen one in person, so this is going strictly out of my '84 factory shop manual...but the 3 speed manual was available in '84 and was a column-shift. There was a "3 speed with overdrive" available as a floor shift, but it sounds like the tranny had 4 gears overall (probably the 3 speed column-shift with an overdrive gear added, but that's just an SEWAG).

Just FYI :)

WILLD

Reaction score
The o.d. trans was a beefed car type. Not much for towing, but it saved on the gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin