Engine siezed

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drats. Now I dun it. That engine that was sitting in my garage, was getting real close to going into the Bronco, but now I discover something very unpleasant. Several weeks ago, I gave it a bath. The intake was taped shut, and the injectors and glow plugs were all in place. So today, I'm mating my freshly rebuilt c6 to it, and I go to turn the crankshaft, and she won't budge. Looks like I got water into it and rusted it solid. Now what? I pulled the injectors and glow plugs. What do you think I should pour in there and let soak before I have to pull the heads? Darn. Kinda like hitting your thumb with a hammer, only more painfull. :rolleyes:

rthomas

Reaction score
mel- id put some air in the gp holes and see if you could tease the remaning water out of it, then use your choice of penatrating oil (i like wd40)

i thought i did the same thing to my rebuilt 7.3 after i pulled it out of the wrecked truck, but as it turned out all the crust (from the not so good hypermax cdr system) fell off the bottem of the head and lodged on the low side of the piston and prevented it from turning over, i dont know if this could be a possibility or if it is how you would fix it differently- i took the heads off thinking water but found black crusty stuff instead.-russ

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel-
you should know better. Pull the heads. If you try using the rings to do the cleanup work, you are going to have a smoker or worse yet, roll a ring. Pull the GP's and see how bad things are first and then go to the next step. sorry to hear this.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
on yours i would pour it full of oil and see what happens, you might get lucky... on several motors i have gotten out of the bone yard i soaked rags in oil and dropped them into the cylinders (heads off)... sometimes you still have to take a piece of wood (hammer handle) and tap on the slugs to get them unstuck... if its that bad your probably going to have to pull the heads and run a bottle brush down the bores if you want to motor to last anytime (i would recommend this anyways) which involves pretty much taking it apart... atleast thats my gasser knowledge.. i think it would apply here

bummer dude

there is some stuff called fogging oil, i forgot who makes it, but you fog the inside of a motor and it coats everything and keeps it from rusting.. after having one sieze up like you, if i store a motor is has this stuff in it

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marvel Mystery Oil is supposed to be good for this type of stuff from what I've read elsewhere...

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Mel,
I would pull the GP's and injectors and blow out the cylinders with air. Then spray PB Blaster (or your favorite penetrating oil) and let it sit. Come back in a couple of days and try. If no go, blow it out and do it again. Let it sit for for a few days.

I did this with a 351 that sat for years. Lock up solid. Would not turn over at all with the starter. Pulled the plugs and sprayed WD40, let it sit, few days later it turned over. Good Luck
John

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I would pull the heads. Use PB Blaster, give the stuff some time to work. Next bar the engine and clean the cylinders with a Scotch Bright pad.
I have done this to a couple of engines with good results.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as trackspeeder said--unless you want to rering it--the scotchbrite will only take off the rust--and not score the walls--also--before the scotchbrite--take muratic acid to the rust--will eat it right off!!! can get at lowes--menards--home depot--cuts lime also--dont drop on cement--if the mur takes it off--dry quick--then spray liberally with fav pene--then wait for her to break free--then scotchbrite the remaining area of the cyl walls---

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Drats. Now I dun it. That engine that was sitting in my garage, was getting real close to going into the Bronco, but now I discover something very unpleasant. Several weeks ago, I gave it a bath. The intake was taped shut, and the injectors and glow plugs were all in place. So today, I'm mating my freshly rebuilt c6 to it, and I go to turn the crankshaft, and she won't budge. Looks like I got water into it and rusted it solid. Now what? I pulled the injectors and glow plugs. What do you think I should pour in there and let soak before I have to pull the heads? Darn. Kinda like hitting your thumb with a hammer, only more painfull. :rolleyes:

Mel, do you know if the engine turned over prior to the wash job? If so, then even a couple of weeks in a slightly frozen state should yeild to soaking and gentle crankshaft roatations. Once turning over, leave the glow plugs out and crank it lots with more penetrant to "rinse & flush" out as its spinning.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I go to turn the crankshaft, and she won't budge. Looks like I got water into it and rusted it solid. QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that, Mel. It'll all end well though.. Keep us posted on it...

Al

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel...unfortunately, I have nothing further to offer except my condolences on it...hopefully you're able to get it unstuck without too much disassembly.

That said...I sort of hate to say this, but if you wind up pulling the heads with the engine out of the Bronco, would it be worthwhile to go through the heads, the bottom end, etc. and basically do a full rebuild? I know it's extra work, time, and $$, especially since you're so close otherwise...but, this way, you know that you'll have a fresh engine that should go a very long time before any issues crop up.

Just something to consider...again, good luck with it!!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mel I cant offer any sugestions bc I just did not got that far yet, but if you want I go and help you if you need extra hands.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Towcat is probabably right, but I have to way the pro's and cons. Here's the deal. I bought this truck and it ran, but I never took it out on the highway. I puttered around the neighborhood with it (crushed cab, no bed, no license plate, etc.) and got it up to operating temp. It sounded good, and everything looked real good. BUT, I still don't really know what I have here. The headgaskets were supposedly done shortly before I bought it, and I believe that. I can see that they have been done. I'd rather not sink a lot of money into this engine until I see what it reallly needs, so I'm inclined to try and soak it and get it to free up and just run it. If it ends up being a dud, I won't know if it was because of this, or because it was that way already. I'm thinking I'll find a glow plug air fitting adapter, and try presurizing each cylinder with some PB Blaster in there and see if I can get it to free up. The thing that is really bothering me though, is how it got this way. I know it turned over freely when I took the trans off of it, which was just prior to my washing it. The only thing I can figure is I somehow got water in the intake, but what troubles me most is that it may not have gone in through the opening which was all duct taped up. :puke:

jdw7.3

Reaction score
I would also try a marine grade fogging oil. The oil penetrates very well also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online