Engine races when cold

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight as I was leaving work, I idled through the parking lot and went around a corner, gave it just a bit more pedal and it took off. Almost felt like I stood on it, but it was just off idle.
Its allways reved faster with the cold idle advance on, but tonight has been the worst, I think the cooler temps helped.
Fuel system has around 50K on it and I use PowerService unless I'm running bio blend.
Is my timing off?
Is it sucking air somewhere?

Or is it normal and I shouldnt worry about it?

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has always done this too, until about a month ago when I figured out what the deal was. Turns out my throttle cable was melted under the turbo and the nylon liner around the cable was melted around the cable so when the truck was cold the resistance was more and it would cause the throttle to stick but as the truck warmed up and the turbo got hot it would heat up the melted liner and allow the cable to move freely. Just a note that I have been though 3 throttle cables on my truck becasue of this problem and no matter how I route it, it always seems to melt. The last time I went to the race shop and got some super heat wrap that is rubber on the outside but a fiberglass looking stuff on the inside and so far I have no troubles.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've noticed that my Banks kit came with the heat wrap installed around the throttle/cruise cables. Must have been addressed with the later kits?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. Check your cable and cold idle solenoid operation. If it's not a mechanical issue, then yes you are probably sucking air.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cables not sticking, It only does this while the cold idle advance is on.
When the timing advance goes off its fine, also should say it rattles more when it does this.
If its sucking air somewhere, why do I only notice it with the timing advance?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online