Electric pump mounting- fuel lines

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a couple questions.

First off- there's been lots of electric fuel pump talk lately, and on that topic I have a question. I got a Carter pump, and everyone said to mount it in front of the selector valve- however, there is not a whole lot of room in which to do that there, and also in front of the selector valve on my truck there is about a foot of what appears to be rubber hose that feels like it is reinforced somehow, then it turns into the metal hardline. So what should I do here?

Also how can I tell which line is the feed line, because they both look very similar and look like they're the same size.

Second- The hardlines running from the selector valve to the rear tank on my truck are EXTREMELY rusty and appear to have a couple pinholes rusted in them (I haven't been using the rear tank, last time I did the truck sucked air and shut off). I'd like to replace these lines but what's the best way to go about it? Should I splice in something like steel brake line with rubber hose? Also what is the factory fuel line size?

RockinB

Reaction score
Just got my Carter today and haven't been under the truck with it yet. I'll be trying to put mine just ahead of the xmission crossmember. The fuel hard line to the mech pump runs below the motor and the return is mostly rubber coming down from the top of the engine and goes to steel inside the frame rail. I do wonder what's going to be best going into the FSV. I've considered doing a loop from the pump outlet to the factory hard line, not sure it's the way to go though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they say "in front of the selector valve" they mean physically. Not logically. If your talking fuel flow it goes AFTER the selector valve which puts it PHYSICALLY in FRONT of the selector valve, which is where you should have all kinds of space on the frame to do it. If you have a 133" 4X4 you might find it a little cramped there, and if so you can mount it on an L shaped bracket like I did. I'll try to post some pics later.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the lines are rusty at all. i would not use them. I've got that setup now, and I'll be changing it

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got rid of all my steel lines. They are all rubber now. Probably wouldn't pass a NTSB crash test, but then if I hurt it enough to damage the lines, I probably want it to burn to the ground anyway. :rolleyes:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I mounted my Carter on the passenger side of the truck where the lines come out of the selector valve and cross over on the cross member. There is lots of room over there and mine has been running like that for about 4 years.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the lines are rusty at all. i would not use them. I've got that setup now, and I'll be changing it

Well- that's what I'm saying, the hardlines going into the rear tank are really rusty and I want to replace them.

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of pulling all of my steel lines now. They are very rusty. I am putting in rubber lines. I am curious to know a good way to turn off an electric pump if the vehicle is involved in an accident. I want to kill the power automatically but I am not sure how to go about wiring this up. Any ideas?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I am in the process of pulling all of my steel lines now. They are very rusty. I am putting in rubber lines. I am curious to know a good way to turn off an electric pump if the vehicle is involved in an accident. I want to kill the power automatically but I am not sure how to go about wiring this up. Any ideas?

oil pressure shut off switch

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
All this worry about the safety of diesel fuel. Have you ever tried to burn it with a flame? Diesel fuel is pretty hard to start and even if you manage, it burns slow so you have plenty of time to get out. I am not saying that safety precautions are stupid... just do not sweat it too much.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
All this worry about the safety of diesel fuel. Have you ever tried to burn it with a flame? Diesel fuel is pretty hard to start and even if you manage, it burns slow so you have plenty of time to get out. I am not saying that safety precautions are stupid... just do not sweat it too much.

same here, mine pump is tied into my FSS and i have a switch in the dash. plus if your in a wreck whose to say your motor shuts off anyway.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is it OK to use regular rubber fuel hose on the suction side of the pump? I figured it could collapse the hose.

Also, still haven't heard what the factory fuel line size is, and I forgot to measure. Is it 5/16?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
thats what i used these ele pumps dont pull alot of vaccume so you shouldnt have to worry about the lines. i put a inline filter before my pump though and it catches alot of crap that would tear up the pump. its a clear one.

stock is 5/16 i went with 3/8 because it was the same price also my fittings on the pump were 3/8 and you can clamp it down to the stock locations easy enough.