electric fuel pump needs

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im going to go electric fuel pump im sick of priming the fuel system.
ok so if i remember correct the stock pump is like 7 psi, can someone confirm this?
also im looking at two pumps right now
a carter universal http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P4603HD/?rtype=10
and a stock replacement unit for a chevy
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/fuel_pump/Chevy/VanFullSize/1AFPU00246/496033?utm_campaign=gb_api_nobr&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_source=google_base&utm_content=FPU

any opinions here or recomendations? also i want to keep it fairly cheap to be able to get 2 one as a spare. thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
7 lbs is correct. Many have used the holley red pump but they are failing after a short time. I ran one for years over the road to Canada and back. It lasted about 7 years. When it failed the brushes had eaten up the rotor so it was shot and unrepairable. The spare went in and about 9 months later it failed..:mad: It was a differant design pump and we found out holley had sent the factory to mexico...:eek: So the quality slipped. I personally wont recommend them any longer because of my real time testing and useage. I run the Transcold pump now. Its the same DIESEL pump you see on the refer trailers hauling all the cold stuffs across the world. It draws fuel from way back near the spare tires under the trailers and sucks it up about 10 foot. Now if it can suck fuel that high it will work for us.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
been running a procomp version of the holley red for about 3 or 4 years, other than having to pull it to clean the screen on the suction side I have had no problems out of it.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall can you link me to one
and i realized that it was 24v but i like that 12v one you linked clayton ill keep it in mind

gandalf

Reaction score
icanfixall can you link me to one
and i realized that it was 24v but i like that 12v one you linked clayton ill keep it in mind

I bought mine through Genlightening (I think I have that right) here on the forum. There has been LOTS of discussion about this already.

Attachments

• DSCF7959.JPG
    DSCF7959.JPG
    772.6 KB · Views: 19

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is where to get the best deal on these great pumps. At this price buy two and keep one for a spare...:sly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the carter is fine, the other one is a pos. there is a high flow screen looks like an inline fuel filter 3/8 ends,napa 3270 made for cummins ind. apps. works great to keep crap out of any pump.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Skip the pump you have listed for the Chevy, its a solonoid style pump that I have run. It could not keep up with my truck running diesel in the cold winter months. I like the carter pumps and have one one in now.

I have not run the transicold pump but they seem like nice units.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carrier transcold pump is the way to go, picked it up from Genlightning, installed it, primes right up after fuel system servicing, adds the protection of an additional screen and filter bowl. Plus no more dealing with low quality garbage mechanical pumps that fail constantly. Heres a pic of it installed

You must be registered for see images attach

If you search you can find the writeup I did for installing it, pretty simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7