Electric Door Locks

91idi4x4

Reaction score
I have a 91 xlt lariat with the power windows and locks since i bought it a couple months ago i have had intermittent issues with the doors locking. The passenger door is the only one to move as well. I am trying to figure out how to diagnose this issue as I am moving into an area where is not as secure. I am thinking it is the switch for the locks because it only works sometimes. and the drivers lock has been disconnected because the po didn't have the key for the doors. Which is another issue...

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has the same problem one the drivers side, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, the passenger side always works. I messed with tracking it down once when I had my door panels off to fix the plastic clips that hold the panel on. mine appeared to have a loose wire in the actual plug into the lock solenoid. sometime this summer i'll pull it all apart to take care of it.

you can buy replacement door lock cylinders at pretty much any parts store or even order them online, other wise have a lock smith cut you keys for the current locks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These door lock motors wear out because they get bathed in rain water sometimes. open the door and look near the bottom of it below the lock. See the 1/2 diameter rivet. That needs to be cut off or drilled out for the lock motor to come out. It has a small plastic clip that keeps it attached to the finger pull on the door. Ford sells this motor but its kinda expensive. All four of mine have failed several times but I just buy more. Usually they are really cheap in the wrecking yards. To install them I use a 1/4 inch bolt and tape it in place in the bracket. Then guide it in the door till the bolt sticks thru the hole. Push it down so the bolt wont turn and easy screw on the nut. Your done. It will take some work but its easy after doing it once..

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
a quick way to rule out the switch is to remove the switch, find which wires are for lock/unlock and use a jumper wire to see if they work. My bet is a bad switch, had it happen on a few trucks i work on.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 92 had rear sluggish door locks. Had to take the door panels off and spray WD40 on all the linkage, working the manual lock/unlock up and down til they loosened up, then spray everything, working lock/unlock up/down, with white lithium grease available in rattle cans. Been working great since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online