Electric Brakes

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I am getting my 5th wheel ready for the season. It needs needs brake shoes.
It is equipped with 10 X 1 1/2 from Dexter Brake.
It seems that this brake has been "obsoleted"--parts are available; but not complete assemblies.
Would I be better off to swap in new larger, loaded backing plates ( New shoes, magnets hardware) and install new drums and bearings? Or is that extra braking capacity not needed? New size is 10 X 2 1/4 for a 50% increase.
What would you do?
Where would you set the price point? IOW--if it cost $100 for the replacement shoes, how much more would you spend to upgrade to the larger set up?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I added brakes to my boat trailer for about $150, drums, backing plates and all. They are the larger size as well. That's been a few years ago, but I would still think $200 would do it and I would do that before $100 shoes, cause there are other parts that wear as well and the extra stopping power wouldn't hurt.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What is the weight rating on your axles?
I just got through doing some major reworking on my brakes and there's a trailer parts distributor nearby that suplies trailer manufacturers and I got one of their catalogs right here.
It shows all the different possible combinations currently available.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting my 5th wheel ready for the season. It needs needs brake shoes.
It is equipped with 10 X 1 1/2 from Dexter Brake.
It seems that this brake has been "obsoleted"--parts are available; but not complete assemblies.
Would I be better off to swap in new larger, loaded backing plates ( New shoes, magnets hardware) and install new drums and bearings? Or is that extra braking capacity not needed? New size is 10 X 2 1/4 for a 50% increase.
What would you do?
Where would you set the price point? IOW--if it cost $100 for the replacement shoes, how much more would you spend to upgrade to the larger set up?

I cant answer whether or not you need the larger capacity, but if it were my fiver and I intended on keeping it and knew that down the road I would be in the brake repair game again I would change up to whatever is on the shelf available even if it cost me double.