Elec. Fuel Pump Question

SearsMech

Reaction score
Can I use a intermitent, pump on demamand fuel pump. I know the IP uses fuel to cool it. It's a 60gph 7psi Walbro FRB-13-2.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking the answer is yes but this has never been asked before. So the pump will push fuel till a pressure limit is reached and shut down. Then as pressure decays it will start up again. Well because of the pump return line system I don't think the pump will have a steady pressure to start and stop at.. Maybe it will but try it and post what you find... Sounds interesting really..

SearsMech

Reaction score
I was hoping you personally would reply as you seem very knowledgeable. I haven't posted alot here but I do read. I'm new to diesels and was thinking like a gaser. Where the pump pressurizes the system then shuts off, key on engine not running, but runs continuously once running. Then I heard the IP needs fuel flow to cool it, then the questions start coming. I guess I could hook it up and pull the return line and as long as I have steady flow I should be fine, correct?

The FRC-10 is a continuous run but has 12-16psi and 50gph. Do you think the psi would be to high?

Last edited:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
If that pump is not rated for constant duty do not use it. I have been running a procomp vane pump with the same ratings as a holley red for about 7 years now and the only problem I have had is getting a trashy batch of fuel and clogging the pressure bypass regulator inside the pump. pulled the bottom off and cleaned it and it hasnt missed a lick since.

Cost then was about 50 dollars off of ebay.

SearsMech

Reaction score
It's a continuous duty. I'm not sure it's that big of a deal, if the IP is always bypassing some fuel through the return line then it should never shutt off while the engine is running. I have a universal Delphi pump I was going to use but was thinking I might want something better. Some of those solenoid pumps are loud also. I may go with the FRC-10 but it has 12-16 psi. Do you think that would be to much?

http://www.go2marine.com/item/16083...uel-pumps-12-24-volt-frb-series-frb-13-2.html

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fr_pumps.html

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Ive got an FRB-13 set to 7psi Im going to be installing soon on my truck cant rember where but one company sells them as a direct repalcment for lift pumps on cummins, frankly once the engines running itd run continusly anyways as the fuels being used. Its also fairly popular in the alternative fuels side of the IDIs as their just as reliable as the ****** pumps but can handle the extra viscosity (at a higher price)

Exact label on pump is Walbro, FRB-13 33512, 12V 7 psi

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok as long as the pump is rated as continuous duty. the continuous run was what threw me. Only way to find out is to mount it up, and test pressure and volume from the schrader at the filter head. search google for "intellidog idi" and he has a page that will tell you min volume and pressure specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Staff online

Members online