ehaust brake info?

p0opstlnksal0t

TeH FatneSS
Reaction score
what exactly is an exhaust brake? how does it work? how does it benefit the truck?

im guessing it just puts back pressure on the exhaust, so the truck slow down more when you let off the gas? then you use the actual brakes less? is this mod only good when towing? or can it benefit a non tow rig as well?

thanks
trey

Sootscooter

Reaction score
Exhaust brakes work great, any time you want to stop. As long as you have them hooked up right. There are different types of brakes,and software available. As I am new to the IDI world, I dont know how effective they are on these trucks -SS

Last edited:

ajd257

Reaction score
I believe that they open the exhuast and close all air intake. I could be wrong but I cant imagine what closing off the exhaust would do to cylinder and head pressure.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
An e-brake or "jake brake" is a flap that closes to restrict exhaust flow. The nature of a diesel makes it so that it has little engine braking capability especially when you factor in the turbo adn intercooler. So, manufacturers have a flap that operates in the exhaust stream to retard the engine. Somem work off of oil pressure (like the factory exhaust back pressure valve on the Stroke) and some off of a spring, etc.

They are mainly ideal for towing and that is where they are most notable. I've modified my EBPV so that I can control it as an exhaust brake and unloaded I don't see much help.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
rebel_horseman said:
An e-brake or "jake brake" is a flap that closes to restrict exhaust flow. The nature of a diesel makes it so that it has little engine braking capability especially when you factor in the turbo adn intercooler. So, manufacturers have a flap that operates in the exhaust stream to retard the engine. Somem work off of oil pressure (like the factory exhaust back pressure valve on the Stroke) and some off of a spring, etc.

They are mainly ideal for towing and that is where they are most notable. I've modified my EBPV so that I can control it as an exhaust brake and unloaded I don't see much help.

This is a good definition of an exhaust brake.... however dont confuse it with the true *Jake Brakes*.

Jake Brakes use solenoids on the exhaust valves themselves and pop them open just as the piston hits TDC on exhaust stroke (they stay closed on the other 3 strokes).... that makes the distinctive sound that Jakes have. It basically turns the engine into a huge air compressor. Intake valves operate normally and the injectors are in a no fuel mode

No pickups with the diesel engines have a Jake Brake. However, exhaust brakes abound all over. LOL The Jacobs Brake Co. makes an exhaust brake and people throw the name around kinda loosely. Huge difference in braking power between an exhaust brake and a true Jake Brake.

An exhaust brake is just what Rebel said.... a butterfly valve in the exhaust system downstream of the turbo (exhaust manifold on NA engines). No different than shoving a potato up the tailpipe. Most are spring loaded and electric or vacumn controlled. The oil controlled one he mentioned is new to me... never heard of it. But I dont work Internationals much anymore.

Hope that helps ya.

Last edited:

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
EMD, I always wondered what in the hell gave the Jake Brake it's sound....now I know. Learn something new every day!

The Powerstroke engine comes with a "exhaust brake" from the factory only it isn't set-up like that. It closes when the temps get cold and otehr p[arameters are met to warm the engine up faster (in addition to idling the truck higher) and it operates using oil pressure from teh HPOP (I think) to operate the valve. I, and several others, have modified the electronics to give manual control of it and let it finction like a true exhaust brake.

Dodge offers a true Jacobs Exhaust Brake as a dealer installed option and is warrantied just like the engine. Last I checked it was something like $2000 but it's been a while. I'm not certain if it's a true "Jake Brake" like you described above.

2500cummins

Reaction score
rebel_horseman said:
Dodge offers a true Jacobs Exhaust Brake as a dealer installed option and is warrantied just like the engine. Last I checked it was something like $2000 but it's been a while. I'm not certain if it's a true "Jake Brake" like you described above.

The Dodge jacobs brake is just an exhaust brake, same as a Pac or a BD...

A while back I read something with the retarding ratings for popular exhaust brakes, I seem to remember the Ford backpressure valve modification at around 35hp, a true exhaust brake on a Ford a little under 100hp, a 12v Cummins with the stock valve springs around 120hp and an exhaust brake on a 12v with the heavy valve springs or a 24v Cummins around 160hp. I think the hydraulic valve lifters on a Ford are the reason they are rated for less backpressure.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hooked it up in my truck and it is really sweet....I mounted the switch on my shifter and anytime i want to use it, it is right there.... I want to get a Rockwell or Eaton Shifter with the range selector switch on it but they are air auctuated, im sure i could rig somethin up....I recommend it if you tow almost anything....Another benefit I found was, in the snow when I was in 4x4 I used it and it is a lot safer than regular brakes because it slowly slows you down and it is distributed to all 4 wheels evenly, rather that normal brakes that lockup when their wet and freeze in winter driving and when 70% of your braking is directed to your front wheels and they lockup....it isnt good....Only down side is it doesnt work too well at lower RPM's and it takes like 4 seconds to engage after you hit the switch...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker