EGT Help Pls.

Bushhog

Reaction score
Need some help folks. My 2000 7.3 has started running high EGT's and I'm not having much luck figuring out why. I put a new turbo in the truck about 4 months back and things seemed fine and at the time I moved my temp probe back to the left exhaust manifold which increased my temp readings. It was downstream of the turbo.
I tow quite a bit with my truck and when I do I am grossing out about 26,800. I expect to see HI EGT's when climbing a grade but not so much on the flat run. Climbing it's nothing for me to hit 1300 for a short time and boost pressures of 19 to 20lbs but I am having trouble getting them back down on the flat. Temps are still hanging around 1000 to 1100 and boost around 9.
I was running with my Superchips programer at 110 hp but I backed it down to the tow mode to see if that would help and the crazy thing is that I had an even harder time keeping the temps down. I now have taken the program completely out and things are not really ant better.
I think I am really under fueling cause I can't make this thing smoke but very little.

Anybody got any ideas?:dunno

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your inter cooler is oiled up?

Bushhog

Reaction score
I don't think so because about 3 weeks before I put the new turbo in I had to replace the radiator and while I had that out I pulled the inner cooler and flushed it out with Simple Green to remove oil build-up.

Thanks for the observation though, guess it could still be a problem. :dunno