EGT & Boost Question.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I just got around to installing my gauges & got a looky at what's going on under the hood....sort of. I noticed my EGT's run about 250-275 at idle, about 350 at high idle & 600 to 800 w/normal driving. If I play with the chip selector I can easily get to 1000 or better. Chip & injectors is all the motor has right now. All else is stock.

Are these numbers high? I know intake & exhaust will help but I never got my IDI over 950. Just wondering.

Also, not EGT related, I see very little boost on the bottom end. Needle never moves unitl I give it heavy pedal. Again I'm comparing to my IDI which boosted immediately. Anyone?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott,

You are good on both accounts. You are safe on the EGT's alla way upto 1250 and you wont see much boost on the lower end. Your boost numbers are safe upto the 25-27 lb range as well. The SD's defuel above 25 psi as that dings the MAP sensor.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Scott,

You are good on both accounts. You are safe on the EGT's alla way upto 1250 and you wont see much boost on the lower end. Your boost numbers are safe upto the 25-27 lb range as well. The SD's defuel above 25 psi as that dings the MAP sensor.

OK. I was little worried touching 1000 empty. I plan to pull a 5'er or travel trailer with this thing & don't know how much it will jump the EGT's. Everything we are looking at is in the 7500 - 9500lb. range. I will have the breathing end of things straightened out before that happens though. Any idea how much of a drop I might see with a homemade Tymar intake & 4" turbo back exhaust? Couple hundred or is that wishful thinking?

Joe, I ran the snot out of the IDI:backoff . Pounded it hard almost every time I drove it. IIRC, never broke 1000 pulling my buddy's New Holland 865LX either.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll see a hundred or so decrease in EGT's with the intake and DP installed. Just remember that keeping the RPM's up and boost up will lower your EGT's while towing. If you are approaching a hill get it out of OD and get the RPM's up to 2700-3000 and youll walk right over it at 70 mph and your EGT's wont get out of hand.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the tips. If we do end up with an RV of some sort, I'm heading for your back yard before I die. Never been but I got friends in Gillette.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put my RV on the market. If you do end up coming out this way let me know and we'll try to meet up with you guys.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Get that exh open ;Sweet
BTW...where is your pyro mounted...post turbo or pre?
I saw a world of difference when I changed the pyro from the down pipe to turbo base ;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Get that exh open ;Sweet
BTW...where is your pyro mounted...post turbo or pre?
I saw a world of difference when I changed the pyro from the down pipe to turbo base ;Sweet

UMMMMM.........I followed the Diprocol instuctions & mounted it in the drivers side exhaust manifold so it pre-turbo. The probe is huge. See if I can find a picture:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I can't get the damn picture pulled out of Adobe so if you look at the ITP web site under DOCUMENTATION, go to "preassembled gauge install" for the 7.3 & scroll to page 17.......that's where I put it!!!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put my RV on the market. If you do end up coming out this way let me know and we'll try to meet up with you guys.

Didn't see this before.... & I'm post ******* to break 1000. That would be cool to meet up.Whatcha sellin'? Does it have a bunkhouse? Talk to me!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online