eBay turbos

Blsford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a genuine HOLSET to me. I'd pass. Google the difference between true holset vs Chinese junk..

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a knockoff failing? I know a lot of Chevy 6.2/6.5 guys are using Holset knockoffs...

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
if you zoom in on the wording on the compressor it says nothing about Holset or nor is it embosed in the body like normal on a holset .

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know the saying "you get what you pay for"? Well, with ebay turbos, it is usually much less than that.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have. From what i have seen of them is that they are oil leaking pieces of crap until they either seize up or break a wheel. Go to YouTube and look for the holset video showing a failure its pretty impressive.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This video?

Knock off's shown at about 3:25

Yup that one. Granted thats an extreme test to failure but still I think i will stick to name brand stuff. At the very minimum if I need parts I can get them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That turbo sounded like they backed off after it over reved. Thats kinda like a back fire in a gasser. Lots of noise, fire and reversion going out the inlet....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That turbo sounded like they backed off after it over reved. Thats kinda like a back fire in a gasser. Lots of noise, fire and reversion going out the inlet....

in other words , intentional destructive end.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
China builds everything now.... I have been in the RV buisness over 25 years now alot of RV parts are made in china... As soon as the patents run out china has a part for half the money or they bought the rights to build parts for the industry..Now I can say most of it is worthless but some stuff is ok... I have seen some of the china copys of Garret turbo's that kids are running on there rice burners they seem to hold up ok. I know there are a few guys that have run the holset copy on there cumins 5.9's without to much problem. most problems are from people pushing the turbo outside of its performance range, any turbo could fail in that situation.. the price realy looks good for a guy on a buget.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Racer30 I agree I think people push to hard an yes those will fly into more pieces most of the time when a real one may brake but not as bad. Well I ended up with a true Holset with 15k on it so I guess tht settles that. I do wanna try one just to see I wouldn't it run it for 100,000 miles but just see if it can get you by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk