Early 6.9 IDI Piston Cooler's Broken

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I pulled my block to reseal the lower half after popping a head gasket, and upon inspection 4 of 8 (!) press-fit piston coolers have snapped off - not fallen, but snapped. I'm guessing they slid around until the piston knocked them apart.

...What should I do now? Searching for a short block is thus-far fruitless, can a machine shop modify the block to accept bolt-in style, or place new ones inside? The piston has also discolored from heat upon all 4 pistons it's missing, the head gasket cooked itself on well, so I'm guessing that was the issue.

Grasping at straws, as I see these press-fit coolers are now considered obsolete.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a bummer. I’d say your best bet is to get another block, a B block 6.9 will have the stronger casting and bolt in squirters.

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I don't know how to interpret if serial no., "1804357G2 IH" would be such a block - do you have any idea? It's a possible candidate to purchase.

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injection pump housing, or timing cover?

Sorry, bit of a noob here. Thanks so much for your time!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what you are looking for, sorry meant to put timing cover not case. Pump gear cover is another term for it, heres an example
You must be registered for see images attach

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much appreciated, as stated I'm a noob to diesels and concrete information is like gold to me!

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B6.9LF122073 212 992

This appears to be an early block.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy ending!

Getting a 5 speed turbo 7.3 truck and all for $1,000, needs a starter and some loving on the column to drive home... these starters are IDI universal, right?

https://offerup.com/item/detail/556234110/

THANK YOU for your prompt and useful replies, bless you my friend! We live to fight another day, just going to a SRW setup now... I think I'll swap my bullnose front end on it though, HAHA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online