E4OD transmission question

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me to a site that sells QUALITY auto transmissions. I do not care if it is entirly new or remaunfactured, only that it does not mention lines like "rebuilt torque converter". I would like to keep the price under $2800.00 condsidering I am a broke college student. lol

If I can not find a tranny that fits the bill I will go with the local trans shop.

Another question I have is there a trans cooler that you would recommend putting on the truck that comes with new lines that do not leak. I want to put all new on the truck so that I do not go down on the road again and suffer another $1000.00 tow bill to get home.

Any feekback would greatly be appreciated

Aaron

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through several trans before NOT listening to the trans rebuilders. I finally had a trans cooler and GAUGE installed. The temp went to 280, so back it went. The cooler in the radiator was blocked,so the oil didn"t even go through the trans cooler. Bypassed radiator, no problems. Cheap insurance to buy a gauge.

Headerpower

Reaction score
If you check out my post "Old Fords never die", I can tell you I worked the crap out of my truck, I have a Tru-cool 28000gvw cooler in series with the rad cooler, and even towing a GCVW or 13500 lbs up some of the longest steepest roads in North America, the hotest my tranny temp got was about 175*. AS posted above cheapest insurance you can get is a guage and a cooler.

If its a repair you are really looking for, I'd go with a local shop. Go talk to several before to commit to one, see what kind of a deal (warranty) you can get, and try to determine if they are knowledgable. Locals guy's have to live in the same town as you, so hopefully you find one with some ethics!

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
most all TCs are rebuilt, even the tripple discs.
as for a good rebuild, I just had one done locally with the red clutches, updated planetarys, and some other new parts . didnt go with billett shafts or any thing, cost on the rebuild with upgrade parts was $2200. added a suncaost tripple disc convertor, and that was another $1300.
with labor and fluids total to the cust was over 4k
from experiance . cheap and good dont not go hand in hand with a e4od rebuild.
another option is a ford reman with convertor, they are like 2400.
the updated ford convertor isnt bad, I have used 3 of them and have one in my 95.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me to a site that sells QUALITY auto transmissions. I do not care if it is entirly new or remaunfactured, only that it does not mention lines like "rebuilt torque converter". I would like to keep the price under $2800.00 condsidering I am a broke college student. lol

If I can not find a tranny that fits the bill I will go with the local trans shop.

Another question I have is there a trans cooler that you would recommend putting on the truck that comes with new lines that do not leak. I want to put all new on the truck so that I do not go down on the road again and suffer another $1000.00 tow bill to get home.

Any feekback would greatly be appreciated

Aaron

Jasper Engines and Transmissions has a great warranty. I believe it is 3 years or 75,000 miles but you should check for yourself.

My truck had a Jasper trans in it when I bought it. The truck had 73000 miles on the odomoter so I do not know what mileage the Jasper was installed at. I now have 163000 miles on the truck and never had a problem with the Jasper trans. My truck empty weighs 10000 pounds and I have even towed 15000 pounds through the Adirondak mountains without any problems. I have also towed other loads through the same mountains and most recently through the mountains of the Adirondaks to and through the mountains of western PA. The Jasper is still going strong.

A Jasper trans will run you about 2500 but again you can check the pricing yourself on the Jasper website. They also include an external cooler and the lines.

Last edited:

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I live about 20 miles from the jasper plants, as long as they dont have the village idiot working they produce great stuff. I know in the engine plant i watched one guy bore out a cylinder .040 over on a SBC and send it down the line. I dont know what the transmission sho pcould do

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just bought a trans from BTS. What Brian told me about stock torque converters scared me. They have 25 square inches of clutch material. The triple disc converter he puts in his and mine have 150 square inches of clutch material. Both setups run with 120 lbs of line pressure. Wonder which one fails first. I have been running a Jaspers for about 180,000 miles and it worked fine till I installed my rebuilt motor and set the tps at .77 volts. The extra hp and low settings caused a converter burn down. It only took 180 miles of running the new motor to do this. Gees, am I running that much extra hp.....:dunno :D Jaspers is a fine trans to use. I speak from experiance and many miles of travel hauling heavy and fast plus.... This is in OD on the freeways...

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had extremley good luck with my Jasper 225,000 miles of heavy towing.I believe the worst thing U can do to a transmission is overheat it. I also believe if you live or pull heavy in hilly country put an aux electric fan in front of the trans oilcooler( I haven't done mine yet-should follow my own advice huh?).Why ?Because if you pull a steep hill in low gear the engins fan may not come on because the engine may not produce enough heat to engage the fan clutch-mean while the converter is unlocked producing tons of BTUs of heat.Also I run a manual converter lock up switch to reduce torque cinverter heat.I run 2 28000lbs ( i believe that what they were )coolers plumbed in PARRALEL-not series(better oil flow in parrarlel then series)with 7/16 oil lines NO radiator cooler. My 3 bits Mr Bill

Attachments

• trans oilcooler1.JPG
    trans oilcooler1.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
some body said about the low tps voltage,
anyhow had a guy more like a information wanter, kept pestering me, trans acted up, only when truck was hooked to one trailer, smoked the first trans, then put a used one in, smoked it also, then put a jasper in , guess what smoked it also,
well it ended up the root of his problem was a back feed that made the cpu think the brake pedal was depressed, therefore unlocking the TC, the unlocked TC basically overheated the trans, of course no trans temp guage in the truck.

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been really busy. To answer the question of were I'm located usually in western pa north of pitt but the truck is in evansville in. (The reason for the tow bill. It went down outside of Columbus on the way home.)

I have looked at the jasper trans before after a famliy friend said he has one in his 97 F350 powerstroke. So far it has held up and he tows his trailer out west with it. The only reason I really dont like jasper is like kcw12 mentioned they employee alot of village idiots. On the engine side you get one cylinder 40 over then another 20 over and so on. But if there are that many people on here that have one that has worked maybe there better than the engine side of the company.

The local trans shop said 2250 plus tax for rebuild and upgraded TC. Cooler would be extra but not that much. The reason I asked around here was that if I could get a better/stronger trans for about the same and do it myself I would rather go that route but whatever.

So again I really appreciate the feedback
Aaron