E4OD to zf5 swap 1990 F350

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing to do a zf swap in a '90 f350 7.3 idi, I know this is a fairly straightforward swap but can anyone tell me the proper drive shaft length for a 2 wheel drive crew cab? The junkyard I'm getting the conversion from has everything I need but they pile all their driveshafts in a trailer according to length. I think only the front half of the driveshaft is different but I will need to know the correct length to get the correct one. Thanks!

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you measure the length of your e4od then the length of zf5 subtract the difference (I’m believing the zf5 is longer) and measure drive shaft you have and subtract that number. Should give you proper length.
(If zf5 is shorter add difference)

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you measure the length of your e4od then the length of zf5 subtract the difference (I’m believing the zf5 is longer) and measure drive shaft you have and subtract that number. Should give you proper length.
(If zf5 is shorter add difference)
That's a pretty darn smart idea actually! I have the exact length of both written down somewhere so that should not be a problem. I have so many drive shafts laying around from other swaps and part outs I may even have one the proper length.

Robert Johnson

Reaction score
ZF5 is much shorter. I just did this swap but in an extended cab. I was fortunate enough to have a parts truck so I just swapped everything over. I would measure for you but mine are 4 wheel drive so different lengths.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online