E4OD SHIFTING

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I am very interested in this mod if it works please give me exact specs and perhaps a wiring schematic and this info should be put into some sort of a reference libraryg if this forum has such a thing

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Papabear, this is one of the two ways you can increase your line pressure. The other is by jumping a resistor between the EPC wire and the main current feed wire, supposedly it works good but it did absolutely nothing for me. What me and Marq have done is to cut the wire for EPC solenoid , and install the resistor inline. Marq lengthened his wires so he can mount a variable resistor in his cab where he can play with it as he pleases, where as I attached bullet connectors on both ends of the wire at the cut, I also install bullet connectors on the resistors as well, then I simply plug two ends of the EPC wire into the resistor's connectors. Marq can adjust his on the fly, I do it by crawiling under truck and swapping out the resistors. So far my experience has been that the 100-ohm resistor makes for very hard shifts, the 50-ohm one is better but still a bit harder than I'd like it to be, and the 10-ohm is yet to be given a test drive.

Things to consider before doing this mod:

- heat, lots of it - higher line pressure makes for high shear in the ATF molecules, which generates more heat - you need a big cooler, and I actually run two.
- if you tow, depending on what setting you're at your u-joints may hate you.
- if you ramp up the line pressure too high, you may starve your converter lockup clutch, which can burn it up.
- supposedly a tad bit lower fuel economy.

That's all for now, Marq can more info as he's the one with the E4OD books and stuff, and I'll snap a pic of my setup one of these days.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update for Marq - the 10-ohm resistor is a no-go! Drove it to work today, trans is again a slushbox - slow shifts, soft, basically stock feel. I'm swapping in the 50-ohm back tonight before I head home.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .....................................................................lololololololololoploplololplplplpllololololololo

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cause messing with the FIPL gives you higher shift points too, and I don't want that - now under light to moderate throttle (my regular driving style) it upshifts at about 1800-2000 rpms, and I don't like winding my engine past 2200 really.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Transgo shift kit in the valve body, I will never own an auto without a shift kit. I can't ask for a better shift. Under any load or throttle it's smooth & fast, you don't get thrown around in the seat & it's RIGHT there.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on. Let me know how that 50 Ohm works. I still have the 25 Ohm in mine, but it's still only 3 Watts and gets hot. I will just replace it with a 25 ohm, 25 watt.

Marq

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marq, I've been running the 50-ohm for like two weeks now - like I said, tis softer than the 100-ohm, yet still pretty firm, also very fast shift. I do get the jerk when upshifting, but if I take my foot off the throttle then it feels just like a tiny bump, and shift is still very fast. I think this is what I'll be keeping, I already have the thing greased up at the connectors (to avoid corrosion and water damage) and nicely taped up and loomed in the harness, so tis more or less permanent now.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job. I am glad you have the set up that you like. That is what's important. Anyway, I have a way to go for payday before I get mine changed out. Oh, by the way, do you know how many watts your 50ohm resister is?? If you do, let me know.

Marq

hamrev

Reaction score
Marq, Do You know if the line pressure is increased all the time by adding the resistor? Or only during shifting? It would be nice if it was all the time so the extra pressure would hold the clutches engaged a bit tighter, thus reducing friction, thus reducing heat, thus reducing slippage, thus reducing friction, thus reducing........

Revis

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Line pressure is increased all the time, the resistor mod causes the EPC to lower the "counter pressure" full time, so you end up with a higher line pressure full time as well. Basically line pressure = pump pressure (fixed) - EPC counter pressure (the one we're playing with). Or something of that sort...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726