E4OD issues on 1993 F250 NA, RC, 2X4 with small trans cooler

stevebates

Reaction score
Readers digest version. 1993 F250 NA, RC, 2X4. My Dad used truck to pull heavy roller to compact dirt runway. Trans burns up, brothers installed rebuilt trans from who know where. Truck then sat out in the desert for near six years. I then inherit the truck. Trans acts weird on the way back to Virginia. Swap out solenoid pack. Got Mel to do IP and injectors. Been running and shifting flawlessly. Have driven it 20K miles since getting it to Virginia. Truck is mostly used for commuting and not usually for hauling. An ongoing problem I'm having, Whenever I put load on the truck, such as backing a trailer up slight incline or driving up gravel mountain roads with load in back, it starts puking trans fluid from the front of the trans. Has a smallish trans cooler installed. Should I pull trans, replace front seal or consider having it rebuilt. While I have the trans out, I will go ahead and put in another TC. TC suggestions. Any input is greatly appreciated. Anyone near Northern VA have the parts and wants to install ZF5 for the price of a normal rebuild (not BTS rebuild)?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a trans temp gauge it's hard to know how hot it got. The trans pump to converter will Melt and then leak, when it cools, sometimes it will heal itself (not continue to leak).

I would install a Tru cooler before pulling the trans to replace the seal. One like this.
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/4589.html

That's the one I have on my 99, does a real good job. Check Amazon and ebay for prices.

stevebates

Reaction score
I do not have a temp gauge, but the fluid got hot enough to get the nasty burnt smell to it. Drained fluid in tranny and TC and put in new filter. Has not gotten hot enough to get the burnt smell again, but has puked a time or two since. I will install the larger cooler and see if that solves it. Thanks

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install a temp gauge while your at it. That is a must with an automatic tranny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front seal probably needs to be replaced.These guys have the best suggestions and exactly what I would do.Install a temp gauge and a larger cooler.See if the front seal ever leaks again after this,if so,then pull the trans and just replace the seal.
Replace your ATF now too since it got hot enough to smell bad,it's broken down and no longer worth trusting.Keeping it in there could cost you a trans.It's working good after it cools back down,so you want to keep it that way.
No point in replacing the converter right now.It's working as it should and during a reman down the road you wouldn't trust a used converter and just need to replace it again so save your $ for a complete reman.........but prolong that as long as you can and those 3 things could mean several years.
Trans fluid change.
Temp gauge.
Larger aux cooler.
Front seal (Viton) if it ever leaks again after.

stevebates

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the input. I'll install the larger cooler this weekend before I head to the mountains and will post results next week. Making a trip to the mountains this weekend.

stevebates

Reaction score
Installed larger cooler. It's a miracle. I can not believe it was that easy. I bought the larger cooler six months ago, but never installed it. Now wish I had. Drove in the mountains and even up steep gravel roads in reverse. No leaking, no puking of fluid. The true test will be when I hook up to my trailer. Thanks to everyone that replied. Great advice. I will post again with results of pulling trailer. Will install trans temp gauge and post temps. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online