E4OD & IP

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a year ago I completely gone through my transmission and drove it for a good 25K for some of you who know I have been working on replacing my injection pump and injectors .

I had to unplugg the TPS from the side of the OLD pump to get swapped to the new one and am sure I was right on as far as mark or close to it

Drove truck for Good 30 miles with no problem , today was 1st time to use it to tie about 7k weight all went well and after I off loaded the weight w empty trailer the truck started shifting erratically and fast from 1 to 3 the OD is flashing

It Jurk erratically them it smooth out , I checked all the connection to the transmission, also checked connection to Banks trans commander , I even took it off but no difference, I checked the fluid and was right no burn no funnny smell , I checked the connection next to the pump side and it looks secure.

What is the correlation of the connection on the TPS pump side to the tranny ?

When I started the truck that OD does not flash but once I rev it up it comes on

I am going to get an OBD1 to scan the code

Never down time

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a failing tach sensor if you rev it,the od light flashes.The code will tell you.You should inspect the wires to the sensor too.Sometimes they fray and short out.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a failing tach sensor if you rev it,the od light flashes.The code will tell you.You should inspect the wires to the sensor too.Sometimes they fray and short out.

Replaced the Tach sensor last year w OEM one

But will be glad to check it specially since I was working in that area wrestling with things

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech sensor checked,Purshased an OBD1 and sure my suspessious was right

Code #23

You must be registered for see images attach

Does that mean my eyes crossed when I was connecting the sensor to side of the pump ?

Is the sensor is bad ?

Or there is something wrong with the Pump ?

How to adjust the TP if I did Wong

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can't guess setting the tps. On a warmed engine the voltage setting on the center wire key on engine off is .96 for a soft shift or 1.2 for a firmer shift. No amount of telling yourself.. You got close to what it was...A digital voltmeter is required.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you guys are right on the Momey and saved my rear end ..

To was set to .6v Middel wire and 3.64 WOT

Adjusted to 9.1 v and 3.98v WOT

OD light is off and it drives like it was before

Thanks every one for amazing trouble shooting skills

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad I could help. I bet your pleased this was a simple easy fix. Sometimes we get lucky.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help. I bet your pleased this was a simple easy fix. Sometimes we get lucky.

More than Pleased. Taking down this E4OD tranny and rebuilding it was no fun needless to say i wasn't for any more punishment .

I hope the long test drive will be successful

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to get back to this topic as am experiencing firmer shifting from 1st -2nd as before . I installed TransGo shift kit 1 years ago when i was rebuilding my tranny which made it more firmer, after the new Performance RD2-80 IP i noticed more firmer shifting as my TP voltage was off, so i adjusted it few month back, yesterday i have double checked the Voltage since my last post above 04/10 to double check and make sure that noting went wack on me, VM black lead to battery (-) and positive to the center green wire plug going to the (TP) result .91 V and 3.65 @ WOT

Should i adjust it to 1.1>1.2 or keep it @ .91 V is going up on voltage smooth the shifting or make it more stiff / firm

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you'll notice the tech articles where it shows the adjustments,it states in the latest TSB to remove prior TSB's from your records.Meaning the lower voltage settings of the TPS were wrong.;)

"Note The voltage specification for signal return (item 2, page 2) was incorrect on the original bulletin. Remove original # 186 from your files and replace it with this revised bulletin. # 186A."

So if you ask me,I would go by the latest TSB.As for too firm of a shift,perhaps you could call up Transgo and ask them to sell you just another plate.This time drill a smaller hole for that shift.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you'll notice the tech articles where it shows the adjustments,it states in the latest TSB to remove prior TSB's from your records.Meaning the lower voltage settings of the TPS were wrong.;)

"Note The voltage specification for signal return (item 2, page 2) was incorrect on the original bulletin. Remove original # 186 from your files and replace it with this revised bulletin. # 186A."

So if you ask me,I would go by the latest TSB.As for too firm of a shift,perhaps you could call up Transgo and ask them to sell you just another plate.This time drill a smaller hole for that shift.

Thanks for calirfication ,So in a short wording 1.2 V and am off