E4OD in cold weather

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently moved from Washington to Illinois (that's a different thread) and before I left I put a 5 position chip in my truck, installed a transmission cooler and changed the fluid and filter on the transmission. I was pretty happy with the improved shift points, it's still a little lazy on shifting for my liking, but as my transmission guy in Washington said, it works pretty good for a transmission that is far beyond the typical service life :rolleyes:

During the cold spell over the last couple weeks, I've been leaving the house at below zero in the morning, unless I really warm my truck up, my torque converter doesn't seem to be locking up for a mile or two. It shifts ok, but I definitely have no lock up, so I've been trying to warm the truck up but the truth is at -10 it doesn't seem to get very hot until you put it in drive. The transmission functions just fine and locks up just like its summer once it's up to temperature (I'm pretty sure my cooler isn't helping me right now LOL), and I'm pretty sure this is a result of the sub zero temperatures, but I figured I'd ask the E4OD experts on here just to double check.

As always, thanks for any input.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not an E4OD Expert, but I would say its the cold. My 5R110 shifts differently in the cold than when its warmer. More like tow/haul mode. Give it a couple minutes and its back to normal. Its always done this....

BTW - What part of Illinois are you in? I am originally from East Central Illinois........

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
This is normal cold weather operation.

The TCM (PCM 95 and up) will not lock the converter until operating temp is reached. It does this to warm up.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even my 06 F150 will do that until it warms up. Doesn't have to be that cold either.

Just call it your "Quick-Warm" feature LOL LOL

gandalf

Reaction score
My auxiliary transmission cooler came with a little temperature control unit to be installed in the line between the transmission and the cooler. If the transmission fluid was not warm enough it would be turned around, sent back to the transmission and not allowed to go on to the cooler. The purpose was to keep the cooler from preventing the fluid to warm up. That is, to allow the transmission fluid to warm up before it was sent on to the aux cooler to prevent overheating.. It was a thermal valve.

Clear? I somehow don't think I've explained this too well.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TOT (Transmission Oil Temp) mounted on the solenoid pack prevents it from doing that until the oil temp reaches around 70*F . What your experiencing is normal.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My auxiliary transmission cooler came with a little temperature control unit to be installed in the line between the transmission and the cooler. If the transmission fluid was not warm enough it would be turned around, sent back to the transmission and not allowed to go on to the cooler. The purpose was to keep the cooler from preventing the fluid to warm up. That is, to allow the transmission fluid to warm up before it was sent on to the aux cooler to prevent overheating.. It was a thermal valve.

Had one of those on the Fox body with an AOD... darn thing would trap too much fluid in the cooler...

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TOT (Transmission Oil Temp) mounted on the solenoid pack prevents it from doing that until the oil temp reaches around 70*F . What your experiencing is normal.

Strange thought... can you tap into that for a readout? Any idea on what the sensor outputs?

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've pretty much determined mine does not and never did work. Just a placebo?!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange thought... can you tap into that for a readout? Any idea on what the sensor outputs?

You would have to have a service jumper harness to check the resistance of the TOT, or tap into the two yellow wires.
Temp in F*-- Resistance in Ohms
32-58----------37K-100K
59-104---------16K-37K
105-158-------5K-16K
159-194-------2.7K-5K
195-230-------1.5K-2.7K
231-266-------0.8K-1.5K

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you have a 4x4, you could shift the Tcase into neutral and put the trans into drive while warming up.
But when you're ready to go, shift the trans into neutral and give things time to stop spinning before shifting the Tcase back into gear.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

gandalf

Reaction score
Had one of those on the Fox body with an AOD... darn thing would trap too much fluid in the cooler...

I left it in the system for a while to see how effective it was. My final determination was that it restricted flow to the cooler, making the cooler less effective. I pulled it off the truck, and it now sits on a shelf. The transmission temp dropped noticeably without that diverter in the line. One of the deciding factors was the fact that I decided I really don't need it here in the SF Bay area. But I still have it, and will keep it in case I ever move to the Far Far Frozen North.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not an E4OD Expert, but I would say its the cold. My 5R110 shifts differently in the cold than when its warmer. More like tow/haul mode. Give it a couple minutes and its back to normal. Its always done this....

BTW - What part of Illinois are you in? I am originally from East Central Illinois........

I'm just outside of Rockton, about 8 miles from the Wisconsin border.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online