E4OD in cold weather

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Same prob lotzagoodstuff. So I made my own grill cover Like the newer trucks to stop the cold air from entering the grill/radiator.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford did offer a cold weather bypass for the E4OD/4R100s to address this problem. It bypasses the lines right at the transmission fittings, instead of at the cooler. However if for some reason it fails, you will lose your cooler and overheat the transmission. Generally speaking, too cold is better than too hot when it comes to transmissions.
You must be registered for see images attach

If I remember right, the torque converter will not lock if the valve body TOT sensor is detecting a temperature colder than 100F. I have mine set to 83F (aftermarket controller). I'm not really sure why its ok to operate the clutch packs in the transmission for normal 1-2-3-4 shifting but not the converter lockup clutch, but I digress:dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure why its ok to operate the clutch packs in the transmission for normal 1-2-3-4 shifting but not the converter lockup clutch, but I digress:dunno

i always just assumed (but,you know what that means) this was a way to maximize overall efficiency by leaving the converter unlocked when cold,so that the trans will run warmer,thereby warming up the trans quicker than if the converter simply locked up before up to some type of operating temp.kinda sorta like a t-stat in a engine aids in quicker warm up times.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ford did offer a cold weather bypass for the E4OD/4R100s to address this problem. It bypasses the lines right at the transmission fittings, instead of at the cooler. However if for some reason it fails, you will lose your cooler and overheat the transmission. Generally speaking, too cold is better than too hot when it comes to transmissions.
You must be registered for see images attach

If I remember right, the torque converter will not lock if the valve body TOT sensor is detecting a temperature colder than 100F. I have mine set to 83F (aftermarket controller). I'm not really sure why its ok to operate the clutch packs in the transmission for normal 1-2-3-4 shifting but not the converter lockup clutch, but I digress:dunno

This part is a pressure bypass. It bypasses the cooler if the line plugs. Many E4's died from plugged or failed coolers. So this was the upgrade along with bigger cooler lines.

Clutch packs don't create heat during operation, unless they are slipping. By keeping the converter unlocked, the tranny will heat up to operating temp.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This part is a pressure bypass. It bypasses the cooler if the line plugs. Many E4's died from plugged or failed coolers. So this was the upgrade along with bigger cooler lines.

Clutch packs don't create heat during operation, unless they are slipping. By keeping the converter unlocked, the tranny will heat up to operating temp.

Makes sense. I looked in my ATSG update manual and they state the reason for it was "greater lube flow during cold weather operation" which is why I thought it was a cold weather bypass.

So would I be correct in saying its just a spring loaded pressure relief valve, rather than thermostatic bypass?